Abigail & Malcolm

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Abigail & Malcolm

Post by Margherita » Sun May 24, 2009 7:42 am

I´m not sure if this is the right place to post this one, but I can´t seem to find a better place for it.

That challenge-like remark in the thread about Felicity´s Perfect Beau, about someone (Janet? Mrs Potts? the town?) objecting to Gus courting Felicity for reasons of class-differences got me thinking, and I think I´ve found a nice angle for a delightfully provocative fanfic there. But not knowing all the episodes, and thus not all the regular characters in the series, I´m afraid I need a bit of help!

My first problem is that I need someone connected with the family for whom it would be "natural" to object to a relationship between the great Kings and a lowly sailor/waiter/canneryworker of dubious background.
And somehow the suggested Janet doesn´t seem right to me; I find her far too supportive and happy about the relationship between Felicity and Gus to have her suddenly change her coat and object to it. As well as - as I read somewhere - the fact that she herself had to face similar problems in her family when she wanted to marry Alec.
Alec is not really an option either, I think. He´s very fond of Gus, and the only time he objects to the relationship is when he found Gus and his daughter alone in the house one night.
The most logical one in the King family would be Hetty, with all her King pride. But help! Hetty is Gus´s benefactor and staunchest defender, even when it comes to his courting Felicity!
I can´t see the romantic Olivia object to such a union either - especially after she followed her heart, too, despite Hetty´s ongoing objections.

So who do I have left? None of the Kings clearly.
But I reasoned that perhaps Janet´s sister might be a possibility. If Janet´s family opposed to her marrying Alec, it might just be possible that Janet´s sister - with whom she doesn´t get along all that well anyway - would have the same values as her parents and thus object to the Wards sinking even lower.
But I know next to nothing about Abigail! All I have on her is the book-version of Friends and Relations!

So can someone please help me out here, first of all by brainstorming whether Abigail would be a logical choice for such action, and secondly with some practical background information on her and her husband! I mean, if this Malcolm is a mere labourer, too, I can´t have her criticizing Janet for letting her daughter being courted by a sailor, can I?

I won´t have much time to start writing for a few more weeks, but I would be very grateful for any help beforehand.
And yes, I will be ordering the third (and the seventh) season when my next pay comes in, so I´ll be able to at least [i]see[/i] her...

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun May 24, 2009 10:33 pm

It's a good suggestion, but I don't know whether Abigail would have been the right person to object to Gus Pike's relationship with Felicity. Abigail's father objected to her relationship with Malcolm based on his lowly social status (Even when Malcolm returned with a fortune, Abigail was still put off by his awkward social behavior). In 'Aunt Abigail's Beau,' Felicity and Sara help Abigail catch up with a fleeing Malcolm, as Abigail realizes that she made a mistake by sacrificing her happiness for societal expectations. I think it would be hypocritical for Abigail to object to a Gus and Felicity relationship, as her own relationship with Malcolm was very similiar; And after Felicity helped her find the happiness that had been denied for so long.

Janet and Alec were different. Unlike Malcolm, Alec was part of a well established and socially respected family in Avonlea. Apparently, nobody was good enough in Mr. Ward's eyes, until Eliza convinced him that Alec should marry Janet. I still think that Janet could possibly have been a good foil for Gus and Felicity. Unfortunately, her opinions on this matter were not explored due to Disney censors. This however, leaves a window for this objection to occur in fan fiction, possibly between episodes, leading to an event where Janet comes to accept Gus despite his status? Just a thought.

It sounds like a good premise for a fanfic. Let us know how it turns out.

~

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat May 30, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks! That helps!
I´ve just been at Amazon to order two of my missing seasons on dvd, plus a few books from the first season, so I hope I´ll be able to update myself on Abigail and Malcolm soon.

After what you tell me, I understand that I can´t have Abigail actively chiding Janet for allowing Felicity to be courted by Gus. Still, with what I read from Abigail in "Friends and Relations", I can see her worrying a bit, and so perhaps decide to check up on Gus´s background. (Though THAT is something I can imagine Janet, and even Alec doing, too, when Gus starts courting Felicity seriously!) And if indeed Gus has never before mentioned to THEM about his father being in prison for murder, I can imagine that such information would surely stir up something! I mean, it´s not Gus´s fault of course, but knowing mankind, the town would surely turn against him, and I can imagine Alec and Janet (and Felicity) at least being very shaken before coming to terms with it and accepting Gus for himself again.

Could become a thrilling story...

Margherita

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat May 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Timothy wrote:It's a good suggestion, but I don't know whether Abigail would have been the right person to object to Gus Pike's relationship with Felicity. Abigail's father objected to her relationship with Malcolm based on his lowly social status (Even when Malcolm returned with a fortune, Abigail was still put off by his awkward social behavior). In 'Aunt Abigail's Beau,' Felicity and Sara help Abigail catch up with a fleeing Malcolm, as Abigail realizes that she made a mistake by sacrificing her happiness for societal expectations. I think it would be hypocritical for Abigail to object to a Gus and Felicity relationship, as her own relationship with Malcolm was very similiar; And after Felicity helped her find the happiness that had been denied for so long.
Indeed. If anything, I think Abigail would be supportive of Gus and Felicity's courtship, given what she'd gone through herself, regarding Malcolm. Surely she wouldn't want her niece to go through the same heartache she did.
Tim also wrote:Janet and Alec were different. Unlike Malcolm, Alec was part of a well established and socially respected family in Avonlea. Apparently, nobody was good enough in Mr. Ward's eyes, until Eliza convinced him that Alec should marry Janet. I still think that Janet could possibly have been a good foil for Gus and Felicity. Unfortunately, her opinions on this matter were not explored due to Disney censors. This however, leaves a window for this objection to occur in fan fiction, possibly between episodes, leading to an event where Janet comes to accept Gus despite his status? Just a thought.
Some more thoughts...

If you think about "Out of the Ashes" and "Love May Be Blind..." (the latter a bit more so, IMO), and how Janet seemed to--for all practical purposes--push the concept of courting/marrying Stuart on Felicity, it has made me question (at least somewhat) how Janet really did feel about Gus in the beginning. One would've thought she'd bring something up earlier on in the "Fussy" courtship. I mean, Janet liked Gus alright; but at the same time, her eagerness regarding Felicity wanting to be with Stuart (who had much better financial prospects than Gus ever had) after Gus's supposed "death" was a cause for questioning. Was it only because she didn't want to see Felicity in the doldrums anymore (personally, I'd argue that taking on the Foundling Home did more in that regard than Stuart entering her life)? Or was it because, deep down, Janet had her own reservations regarding Felicity marrying someone of a low social status?

It would make a very juicy fan fiction, for sure.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat May 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Oh I think that was partially me talking about the town reacting to Fussy's relationship. I think that ppl like Mrs. Potts, Mrs. Lynde and Mrs. Bugle would have been down on Gus earlier in the series, especially. I think the gossips would have talked about Felicity behind her back about Gus not being good enough. It is hinted in the last season, that the gossips had spoken ill of him.
Shelly wrote:
Timothy wrote:
It would make a very juicy fan fiction, for sure.
I will be exploring it a bit in mine though not really on the social status bend so much... I could see Abigail being a bit hypocritical about social status though. I mean even though she ended up marrying Malcolm she did let other people's ideas about social status influence her when she was Felicity's age. And wasn't Janet supposed to have encouraged her to have not worried about what other people thought about Malcolm's background? I think she struggled with choosing love over money in a way that I don't Janet would have. I don't really see Janet as being that concerned about social status for herself. But I do think she worried about Felicity (and later Cecily, I'm sure) being taken care of. I don't think she disliked Gus at all. I think she was very happy when Fussy married. But I think she liked the fact that she and Alec wouldn't have to worry about Felicity being taken care of if she married Stuart. Her father didn't like Malcolm because of status. He didn't like Alec because he was too much of a rebel when he was young. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am

Yay, even more points of view! Thanks, everyone!

I´m eagerly waiting for my new dvd´s and books, so I can see for myself. Even season 7, of which I only have seen the last three eps...

I have to agree with Hannikan about Janet. When you watch that scene at the end of season 6 (forgot which ep) where Felicity tells her she has promised Gus to marry him as soon as he gets back from Jamaica, Janet is far too happy to (IMHO) be supposed to have serious problems with her daughter marrying Gus. Haven´t seen those eps with Stuart and the foundling home there, but Janet being eager to see her daughters well provided for is something I can imagine. Especially in - from what I gather - Felicity´s situation, I can imagine Janet worrying that she´ll keep mourning over Gus forever. Or at least too long, till all her chances of marrying are over. After all, she and Gus had been together for so long...

I could always start the story with "innocent" town-gossip about Gus´s low social standing, and branch out into Alec checking up on his background - with all the consequences...

By the way: was this checking up on someone´s background common practice in the new world, too? In my homecountry, even until several decades after ww2, it was quite common for parents of middle and higher classes to check up on their children´s prospective beaus and belles in such cases where they were not acquainted with the family.

Margherita

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 am

Shelly wrote:If you think about "Out of the Ashes" and "Love May Be Blind..." (the latter a bit more so, IMO), and how Janet seemed to--for all practical purposes--push the concept of courting/marrying Stuart on Felicity, it has made me question (at least somewhat) how Janet really did feel about Gus in the beginning. One would've thought she'd bring something up earlier on in the "Fussy" courtship. I mean, Janet liked Gus alright; but at the same time, her eagerness regarding Felicity wanting to be with Stuart (who had much better financial prospects than Gus ever had) after Gus's supposed "death" was a cause for questioning. Was it only because she didn't want to see Felicity in the doldrums anymore (personally, I'd argue that taking on the Foundling Home did more in that regard than Stuart entering her life)? Or was it because, deep down, Janet had her own reservations regarding Felicity marrying someone of a low social status?
I think you're on to something. This could have been an unspoken storyline running behind the scenes.

~

5AvonleaGirls
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by 5AvonleaGirls » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Interesting thoughts, Shelly. I was thinking about what you said about Janet and I was wondering if she really is so shallow and silly as that. Aunt Janet doesn't seem to only desire for her daughter to have a good position and plenty of money. She always talks about how she wants what is best for her daughter and that she wants Felicity to be with the man she loves. I think one of the reasons that Janet did push Stuart on Felicity was because Janet thought that it would help Felicity become happy again. It is kind of weird I think that Janet is so against Felicity looking for Gus in South Carolina. However when Gus does come back Janet seems pretty supportive of Gus and Felicity. I don't know thought... It is an insteresting idea though.

~5AvonleaGirls

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

I don't doubt Janet would've wanted Felicity happy, first and foremost. I just question whether or not, deep down, she had reservations about Felicity marrying Gus, as she seemed almost all too happy to (for lack of a better term) force an engagement to Stuart on her (though she did have a fondness for Gus as well).
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:44 pm

I see where you're coming from Shelly because I do think that Janet was eager to see Felicity marry Stuart when Gus was thought to be out of the picture. Here's my thing though, I don't think Janet had any issue with Gus prior to Stuart. As mentioned she was elated when Felicity told Janet of her engagement to Gus in Homecoming. I think if anything once Stuart became a possibility then and only then did Janet start to think about Gus's ability to provide for Felicity. I think she did probably compare Stuart financial situation to Gus's prospects. She was happy that Stuart was a settled gentleman. I think she thought well, he's not the dashing young man that had captured Felicity's heart but he can provide the kind of life Felicity always wanted for herself. She could have a large family and live comfortably. I don't think Janet had ever thought about it before but after Gus was gone she started to think about whether he and Felicity would have struggled. And through Janet's words we sort of see Felicity's thoughts, too. Thoughts influenced by Janet, of course. Felicity had never thought about whether she and Gus would struggle to make ends meet either, and it didn't matter to her in the end because her priorities had shifted since she was a little girl who could only think about how many fancy dresses she wanted. But I think to have had that idea of Janet disliking Gus back in the 4th season due to his social status would have been really out of character for her.
ImageImageImageImage

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 am

I just love your interpretation, Hannikan! I think I´ll go with that one!

5AvonleaGirls wrote: It is kind of weird I think that Janet is so against Felicity looking for Gus in South Carolina. However when Gus does come back Janet seems pretty supportive of Gus and Felicity.

~5AvonleaGirls
I think Janet had two problems with Felicity insisting on going to Charleston. First of all that - to her - it was a wild goose chase. The lady Felicity spoke to never mentioned a name, so to go to a faraway big city where they knew no one (and for ordinary PE-islanders, the southern US must have felt like the other side of the world in those days) to go and look for Gus without even being certain that he´s there... And I honestly believe that Janet didn´t believe that Gus could be alive. So what kind of wild goose chase was Felicity up to? Not something a country-farmer´s wive from rural PE Island would let her still under-age daughter undertake!
Secondly, there was the wedding. You can think about Janet and Stuart as you like, but there was the practical side of the wedding being only a few days away. So both out of practical reasons and to spare Stuart, I think that gave Janet an ulterior motive to protest Felicity´s wish to go to Charleston right away.

Still, I´m mighty glad Felicity persisted and Hetty backed her up! :-)

Margherita

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:15 am

Yep, I agree with you on your assessment of Janet's misgivings about going to Charleston, M. Hetty was really the only one of all the Kings besides Felicity who was so eager to believe Gus was alive that any shred of hope would prompt her to take off looking. Actually, Alec would have had a similar reaction to Felicity's plan to go to Charleston as Janet did, I think. And he thought of Gus as a son. Young, unmarried women were not allowed to go on travels alone in those days. Without Hetty going it would have been completely scandalous. Literally there must have been so much gossip about Felicity chasing a ghost while she and Hetty were gone.
ImageImageImageImage

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 am

I wonder... If Hetty had not agreed to go with her, or simply not been in town for a few days... From what I see from Felicity, I can´t help but think that in that case she might simply have run off to go and find Gus all by herself. Scandalous or not, I cannot see her get married to Stuart with this hanging over her head...

Might be a nice AU fanfic ;-)))

Margherita

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:06 pm

I agree that Felicity would have went not matter what. If Hetty didn't go, they probably would have had Felix go with her, similiar to in Return of Gus Pike.

~

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Yeah, that's true Felix would have gone with her if Hetty didn't. He was very devoted to Gus, too. I think if Felicity was really adamant Alec would have. He and Janet would not have let Felicity go alone.
ImageImageImageImage