Abigail & Malcolm

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:25 pm

*nods*

If Hetty didn't go, and there was no way Felicity would be allowed to go alone, I agree Felix would've the most likely one to go with her instead. After all, aside from Hetty, he was the only other one who expressed his disagreement with Felicity/Stuart. ("Except he isn't Gus Pike.")
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Margherita » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 am

But I think it would have made for a more interesting story if she´d run off by herself ;-) showing Gus that when it comes to him, nothing else matters for her.
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:33 am

They should have had Felix go anyway. That way they didn't have to create the obscure Horace Beck to defend the gals against the drunken belligerent sailers. Felix could have fought back the thugs and it would have helped build his character, perhaps as a precursor to his courageous enlisting in the Navy.

~

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Nah, I liked it better with Hetty. It would have been too similar to RoGP if Felix had gone. We didn't get much of Felicity and Hetty together in the later seasons and we did get more of Felix and Felicity together in other later episodes. Felicity and Hetty were very entertaining together I thought. I thought it showed well their similarities and differences. It also set up what happened in SDTMH and bookended Hetty's mother relationship with Gus well, too. I actually found Horace Beck entertaining, too. Plus he knew Charleston and Felix nor anyone else would have. He was sort of like a tour guide on their quest. I think would have taken much longer to find Gus if they hadn't anyone who knew the area to help them.
ImageImageImageImage

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:18 am

Grin... you two are talking from a TV-series perspective. I was talking about "real life" for Felicity. ;-D

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Margherita wrote:Grin... you two are talking from a TV-series perspective. I was talking about "real life" for Felicity. ;-D
Well I think Felicity did a very good job showing Gus that she'd go to great lengths for him in RTM and SDTMH. Just because she didn't go alone doesn't mean she didn't show that. I think she was prepared to go alone if Hetty hadn't gone with her but since Gus was so important to Hetty, too, it was fitting that she went with her. I can see Felicity sneaking off if no one had been willing to go with her but I think that would have been less entertaining.
ImageImageImageImage

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:28 am

The question I have about Gus' prospects is why exactly is he so poor? He was getting wages and tips at the White Sands (and possibly a meal, too), with no rent to pay and he does not seem to have an extensive wardrobe (heck, Alec even gives him shoes), so what does he spend his money on?? Does he have a gambling problem we don't know about or something?
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Snerk.

Elaborate dates with Felicity? Lighthouse upkeep? Giving it all away again to someone else in need?
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:22 am

I don´t imagine a waiter´s wages were very high - even at a fancy place like the White Sands. And if he´d get a meal for "wages", that would certainly mean he´d get even less in money!

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:53 am

For those who are interested: the first two chapters of the fanfic I was talking about in the first message of this thread have now been published:

The Kings and the Pauper

You can find it both on fanfiction.net and in the RtA fanfic part of the Anne of Green Gables forum.

Hope you´ll enjoy it!

Margherita