Did Felicity Settle for Gus?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Did Felicity Settle for Gus?

Post by Timothy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 am

The romance between Gus and Felicity did not happen immediately and was not love at first sight. Felicity had a history of looking down on "hired boys" like Peter Craig as below her class. Even after G&F become a pair, she still puts him down in High Society.

It was probably with the kiss in the barn that she considered Gus as a suitor. Remember, Felicity was infatuated with David Hawes--the 'well-to-do'--cricket player who she first sees riding on a horse in 'How Kissing Was Discovered.' When she realized that Hawes was taken, she settled for the possibility of Gus. Thoughts?

~

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: new england
Contact:

Post by Shelly » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 pm

I don't think Felicity settled for Gus per se. (If she settled for anyone, I say it was Stuart (before she got The Phone Call, that is).)

I've gotta ponder this a bit more, though.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Post by hannikan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm

This almost makes me laugh. I think it's pretty obvious that she didn't settle for him at all. I think you're just trying to start some Avonlea drama, Timothy! :lol: But I think the things you pointed out show that it took her awhile to realize how much he meant to her and that's what makes it all the sweeter for us all when she does. It's true she was selfish and vain when Gus first tried to court her. And what she says in High Society is dreadful because she puts what those snobby, awful girls think above her feelings for Gus, which are still in their early stages at that point. Fortunately, soon after she realizes how important true friendship and love are.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:50 pm

hannikan wrote:This almost makes me laugh. I think it's pretty obvious that she didn't settle for him at all. I think you're just trying to start some Avonlea drama, Timothy! :lol:
It might sound silly because we're so familiar with G&F, but remember that Felicity fell for David Hawes the moment she saw him. Hawes was her first love interest and she was hoping to be a parasol twirling Mrs. Felicity Hawes, all the while Gus was working at King Farm.

I'm just curious if people think that she settled for Gus because Hawes was unavailable. After all, if Hawes was available, the G&F romance may not have ever happened.

~
Last edited by Timothy on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 pm
Location: British Columbia

Post by Psyche » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

I don't think "settling" was ever a problem for her. Felicity had a chance with that oh so perfect beau Arthur. And of course searching for him when she learned by might have survived, even though she had Stuart by then who was willing to build her a home. She kept going back to Gus because she was following her heart, simple as that. That's what Gus and Felicity were all about. No matter how many men came into her life, it always came down to Gus.

I think I understand what your point is. But it's really just a bunch of "what ifs." What if Sara's father was never charged for embezzlement? Would she ever have wanted to move from the city to small town Avonlea? She had a choice to go back later, but she grew to love Avonlea and no longer wanted to. Just like Felicity grew to love Gus and no longer cared as much about those old ideals. Everything in life happens for a reason.

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:15 pm

Well, one might suggest, namely me, that it came down to Gus because D. Hawes wasn't available. And if you can't be with the one you love... Sorry, forgot how the song went.

Yeah, your right about the what ifs. They tend to be popular, especially for a show that ended with loose ends and a director that keeps teasing us about a reunion movie.

~

User avatar
Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 pm
Location: British Columbia

Post by Psyche » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:24 am

You think Felicity was in love with David Hawes? I thought her feelings for him were pretty superficial. She was only thirteen, and she saw this handsome man on a horse and swooned, and acted all dreamy and silly. Thinking he's her fantasy man who would give her her very first kiss that she most desperately wanted. I don't think it meant that much. Certainly nothing like "love at first sight". Unless it's common for people in Avonlea to marry the first person they're physically attracted to. I guess I wouldn't be surprised. Either way, it never occured to me at all that anything would have happened between Felicity and David even if he was single. We really didn't know enough about him.

There might be a reunion movie?

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 am

Felicity imagined herself married to David. Since women were expected to marry early and for class (David's family appeared well established), it's not hard for me to imagine that it could lead to marriage.

Kevin Sullivan has mentioned the possibility of a reunion movie:
http://www.avonleaguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147

~

User avatar
Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 pm
Location: British Columbia

Post by Psyche » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Well, I saw the whole thing as just one of those romantic scenarios where girl is totally attracted to some random handsome man, not knowing that the person she's meant to be with is right there in front of her. Those scenarios are more common and realistic, compared to the whole "love at first sight" thing, which I still don't think Felicity and David was. She was much too young(Even for back then) to start making up her mind that this was who she wanted to marry, especially since she barely knew him. What if he turned out to be a jerk? What if she lost interest in general? Overall, he was merely a plot device, showing how Felicity was growing up and striving to find romance.

I think the only "what ifs" that make sense or would have had the most impact are "What if she chose Arthur" or "What if she stayed with Stuart."

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Post by hannikan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Timothy wrote:Felicity imagined herself married to David. Since women were expected to marry early and for class (David's family appeared well established), it's not hard for me to imagine that it could lead to marriage.

~
Women were not expected to marry that early though. In fact in middle class circles it was considered low class to marry under 18 or even 20. Those who married off that young were usually quite poor and did it because combining the assets of 2 families would improve their financial situation. Women like Felicity would have expected to wait to marry until they were at least 18 but not after 23 or so. It was a narrow window. Girls were heavily protected from male advances by their family until they were about 16. Alec didn't even want their nearly 14 year old daughter to attend a dance until she was 16. At about 16 suddenly girls were encouraged to respond to male advances, demurely of course.

I agree with Psyche that Felicity's feelings for David Hawes were merely infatuation. He was really her first crush. Now that is how things started with Gus, too. But those feelings developed over time into something much more meaningful, indication again that she was not settling when she got together with Gus. Now even though Michael Mahonen and Greg Spottiswood were both much older than Gema, David Hawes was supposed to be older than Gus and far too old for Felicity. She was 13 and he at least 18. If it had been a few years later and Felicity had been 16 and David Hawes 21 that would probably have been deemed okay in those days. 16 was much like 18 is now in terms of being the age of majority.

The fact that Felicity imagines herself married to David Hawes is just the way adolescent girls pretend things. I mean we can get into a whole discussion about gender roles and how society grooms girls to have tunnel vision toward marriage as their ultimate goal but her pretending her name is Felicity King Hawes is not an indication that her family was trying to marry her off at 13. She's pretending to be grown up the way Anne pretends that her name is Cordelia and Barry Pond is the Lake of Shining Waters.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:20 am

hannikan wrote:Women were not expected to marry that early though.


That's why I said that "it could lead to marriage." I didn't say they would marry right away. In fact, they probably would have dragged it out for as long as possible for story line purposes.

You bring up some interesting points, but the infatuation that led to a meaningful relationship could have developed with David too. Once Felicity realized David was taken, Gus became a possibility?

Out of curiousity, where was there mention of David Hawes's age? I don't remember hearing this.

~

User avatar
Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 pm
Location: British Columbia

Post by Psyche » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:36 am

Timothy wrote:That's why I said that "it could lead to marriage." I didn't say they would marry right away. In fact, they probably would have dragged it out for as long as possible for story line purposes.
But that's the thing. If we're talking storyline purposes, they would never have dragged out anything. David was never meant to be anything other than a plot device to bring together Gus and Felicity. Now, if we were to pretend these were real people, who knows?

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Post by hannikan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:38 am

Timothy wrote:
hannikan wrote:Women were not expected to marry that early though.


That's why I said that "it could lead to marriage." I didn't say they would marry right away. In fact, they probably would have dragged it out for as long as possible for story line purposes.
Well sure, but they didn't because for one thing he was from Charlottetown and only in Avonlea briefly. He was meant to be only a passing fancy for Felicity. Of that I am quite certain.
Timothy wrote:
hannikan wrote:Women were not expected to marry that early though.

You bring up some interesting points, but the infatuation that led to a meaningful relationship could have developed with David too. Once Felicity realized David was taken, Gus became a possibility?
Yeah I don't think it would have with David though. He was more like the younger, vain Felicity himself. He was nice enough when he realizes she has a crush on him and he kind of wants to express that he's flattered but I think he was quite self absorbed, too. The things Felicity learns from Gus impact her character so much. Even if their romance hadn't led to marriage, Gus had a great impact on Felicity (as well as on Felix).
Timothy wrote:
hannikan wrote:Women were not expected to marry that early though.

Out of curiousity, where was there mention of David Hawes's age? I don't remember hearing this.

~
Sara says "Him? He's ages too old for you Felicity. He's at least 18."
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:17 am

Psyche wrote:But that's the thing. If we're talking storyline purposes, they would never have dragged out anything. David was never meant to be anything other than a plot device to bring together Gus and Felicity. Now, if we were to pretend these were real people, who knows?
By the same token, Gus was only contracted for two episodes. He wasn't meant to be a long-term character in the series and they weren't exactly together at the end of HKWD. At this point, there were a lot of possibilities.

~

User avatar
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:29 am

hannikan wrote:Well sure, but they didn't because for one thing he was from Charlottetown and only in Avonlea briefly. He was meant to be only a passing fancy for Felicity. Of that I am quite certain.


As mentioned above, Gus was also only meant to be a passing fancy, as he was only supposed to be in two episodes. If the producers liked Hawes, they could have simply written a script where his family moves to Avonlea. Fortunately, Gus was a fan favorite and they continued his development. Thanks for the insight about Sara's view of David's age.

Post Reply