Did Felicity Settle for Gus?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:36 am

You know I've heard that before but I don't know if I believe that Gus was only supposed to be in 2 episodes considering Felicity says to Sara at the end of HKWD "He's gone to find work at the cannery but I don't think we've seen the last of him." It at least left things open for the character to stick around longer. I think perhaps they originally envisioned a short lived character but realized pretty quickly the potential the character held. Not only to impact Felicity but Hetty and Felix as well. It's really hard to imagine RTA without Gus. He brought so much to the show! :D
ImageImageImageImage

Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Margherita » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:15 am

Hahaha! This is a funny discussion, I must say. Boy, I never figured Felicity actively "chose/settled" for either Gus or David Hawes at the time. I interpret her behaviour there as being infatuated by David, which she shows in rather funny behaviour around him and a lot of fancying to be all grown up when she´s alone. Hey, I, too, at that age, had a crush on every good-looking guy in the neighbourhood, but that doesn´t mean those girly dreams of marrying each and every one of them were a prelude to a serious relationship! LOL

Personally, I don´t think Felicity considered Gus for a possible beau that first season at all. Because of his kiss, she developed a little soft spot for him that shows in Aunt Hetty´s Ordeal, but I think he was way below her standards of that time to be serious candidate. Don´t know exactly when she starts to welcome/encourage his "courtship", but I can imagine her being flattered (even though he´s below her standards) by his obvious interest in her. And that could have piqued her own interest in him then, and when getting to know him better, she slowly outgrows her old ideals in order to embrace a new ideal of real love and soul mates.
But settling for Gus? I totally agree with Hannikan there: she settled for a life with Stuart, but with Gus it was something totally different! For in many worldly respects, she could have done a lot better than a blind ex-sailor/ex-waiter/ex-canneryworker. Yet she ran from the perfect beau Arthur Pettibone, and turns her back on banker Stuart McRae as soon as the vaguest sign of life from Gus comes through. You call that settling for him??

I wonder when Gus seriously got interested in Felicity though. Not in season 2, as far as I can tell. Season 3? I still don´t have it!!

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Margherita wrote: Personally, I don´t think Felicity considered Gus for a possible beau that first season at all. Because of his kiss, she developed a little soft spot for him that shows in Aunt Hetty´s Ordeal, but I think he was way below her standards of that time to be serious candidate. Don´t know exactly when she starts to welcome/encourage his "courtship", but I can imagine her being flattered (even though he´s below her standards) by his obvious interest in her. And that could have piqued her own interest in him then, and when getting to know him better, she slowly outgrows her old ideals in order to embrace a new ideal of real love and soul mates.
Yes, I agree. She didn't really consider him a possible beau until the last half of season 3. I think she realizes in High Society that if she continues to put status above true feelings she will end up unfulfilled like those awful Kingsport girls. I think it's in season 3 that she begins to consider Gus a possible suitor. She gets very jealous in Dark and Stormy Night and even though she tells Sara she intends to do far better than a dirt covered boy who takes care of an old lighthouse I think that is really one last ditch effort to talk herself out of falling for Gus. It's already obvious to Sara that Felicity has feelings for Gus.
Margherita wrote: I wonder when Gus seriously got interested in Felicity though. Not in season 2, as far as I can tell. Season 3? I still don´t have it!!

Margherita
No I think he already has a crush on her right away. He seems jealous of her interest in David Hawes even. Remember how he looks at her in Aunt Hetty's Ordeal when he talks about wanting a family? He says in season 4, in the Dinner, that he had his cap set for Felicity a long time ago. He says in season 5 that he's been practicing asking Alec for her hand for years which leads me to think he was already thinking about marriage in season 3. He asks Alec in season 3 when he began courting Janet. I think at that point he was already aiming to ask Felicity to marry him down the road. For one thing, Gus was supposed to be 3 yrs older than Felicity. And another thing we haven't discussed is how money and social status impacted Gus's decisions. I think as a working class guy he was more impatient to get married because people of his background married younger than the Kings would have generally. I think that's part of the reason Gus thought Felicity should be ready to marry at a younger age than she was.
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Gus had said to someone (Sara?) in one episode that he'd set his "cap" on Felicity "long ago". Which suggests to me he always had feelings for her, from the moment he first saw her chasing Felix around the yard wanting her diary back.

As for Felicity's feelings for David Hawes, I think she was just acting any other teenage girl with a crush. Gus wasn't even on her radar yet.

I agree that she didn't even consider Gus until Season 3. In "A Dark and Stormy Night", yeah, she may've told Sara she intended to set her sights higher than him; but, IMO, that was just denial. After all, she did express jealousy when she saw Gus with Amanda Stone. ("That tramp!" / "I'm going to follow that hussy and DEMAND she leave Gus alone." The latter, especially, does not sound like a girl who is setting her sights higher "than a dirt-covered boy who lives in an old lighthouse".) I also *nod* to the idea that everything began to click for her in "High Society", after she got knocked off her high horse.

A lot of the insights regarding social status and such from Gus's POV are also brilliant. :)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:12 am

Seen season 3 now as well, and I agree that it´s halfway that season that Felicity really starts considering him. She may still deny it in Dark and Stormy Night, but have you noticed how much quick care she takes of her appearance when she and Felix meet him on the road in But When She was Bad? And the shy exchange of glances at the end of Friends and Relations is predicting a lot, too! (I love that scene ;-) And I think you guys are right presuming that the events in High Society really made Felicity change her mind in favour of Gus. And at the same time, it was an ep where he was clearly afraid to lose her!
Btw, was Pierre Lapierre originally hired for only one episode as well? I´m glad he stayed on though!

I remember that scene in Ordeal, and I completely agree that Gus seems to aim at having a home and a family with Felicity already there. It does make one wonder if he really only was meant to be in the series for those two eps...

Margherita

Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Psyche » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:39 pm

That's weird. I don't remember that scene from "Aunt Hetty's Ordeal," and I have watched that episode over and over again. When does it take place?

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:19 pm

It's toward the beginning, when Gus, Felix, Sara and Felicity are walking home from school. They ask him what he wants to do when he grows up. He says what he really wants is "people". Sara says you mean a family? He doesn't say yes but he doesn't deny that's what he meant. And he looks at Felicity when they are talking.
ImageImageImageImage

Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Psyche » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:10 pm

hannikan wrote:It's toward the beginning, when Gus, Felix, Sara and Felicity are walking home from school. They ask him what he wants to do when he grows up. He says what he really wants is "people". Sara says you mean a family? He doesn't say yes but he doesn't deny that's what he meant. And he looks at Felicity when they are talking.
Really? I recorded the episode off TV, and the only time I see those four walking together is during the end credits. Between which scenes was it supposed to have happened?

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm

At the end it just shows them walking from behind. This is a whole short scene of them talking. And yes, I am sure it is in this episode. Timothy might have a screen cap of it in the episode guide.
ImageImageImageImage

Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Psyche » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:21 pm

hannikan wrote:At the end it just shows them walking from behind. This is a whole short scene of them talking. And yes, I am sure it is in this episode. Timothy might have a screen cap of it in the episode guide.
I know, I'm just wondering at what specific point in the episode it happens. Because I recorded the episode off of TV and it's not there. I just watched it again now to make sure.

Margherita

Post by Margherita » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:26 pm

It´s one of the times they´re walking home from school together in that ep. Not the first time (then he´s with Hetty), but later on.

Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Psyche » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Margherita wrote:It´s one of the times they´re walking home from school together in that ep. Not the first time (then he´s with Hetty), but later on.
Okay, but in the episode I recorded off TV there is no scene of them ever walking home from school together. All I am curious about is exactly which point in the episode it happens. Between what scenes?

I'm sorry if I sound a tad irritated, I'm just annoyed that the station I recorded this episode off of clearly took this scene out.

jvbolhui
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by jvbolhui » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 pm

Psyche, I've seen it both on TV and on the DVD, and it is one of the scenes that was cut, probably for advertising time, as the episodes run at about 50 minutes each, longer than the standard for hour-long programs on TV.

I'll do a rewatch and let you know exactly where it fits in, if you like. :)

Psyche
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Psyche » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 pm

jvbolhui wrote:Psyche, I've seen it both on TV and on the DVD, and it is one of the scenes that was cut, probably for advertising time, as the episodes run at about 50 minutes each, longer than the standard for hour-long programs on TV.

I'll do a rewatch and let you know exactly where it fits in, if you like. :)
Thank you. And that sucks that it's not on the DVD either.

jvbolhui
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by jvbolhui » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 am

Oh, it is on the DVD. Sorry for the confusion with my wording. I meant it was cut for the TV reruns, but it IS still on the DVD.