an avonlea christmas

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Re: an avonlea christmas

Post by Shelly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm

widmannjm1 wrote:I was trying to remember do they mention what has become of Davey and Dora in the film? I assumed Rachal was still living at Rose Cottage with Hetty so where were the kids?
Davey and Dora don't get mentioned either. I think they (along with Morgan and Izzy Pettibone, Sara, Elbert, Andrew and Roger King, and Belle-Marie and Callie Dean) got sucked into what I called "The Vortex of Characters That Once Were But Refuse To Acknowledge Ever Again" in a Television Without Pity-inspired recap of the movie.

http://shellysavonlea.net/writings/hcmkrecap/index.html
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Anaria
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Anaria » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 am

Hi

At the beginning of the movie there are flashback scenes. There is one with Felix reading the paper than discussing the possibility of war with his parents. Now, I think I remember the scene from the series itself, but I couldn't find it. Could anyone tell me which episode is it from?

Thanks

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi, it wasn't from an episode but it always fakes me out, too. RTA the series ended in the summer of 1912. People were not discussing the idea of war until a couple of years later in summer of 1914. Felix does join the Navy at the end of the series but at that point there was no inkling that a war was coming.
ImageImageImageImage

Anaria
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Anaria » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 am

hannikan wrote:Hi, it wasn't from an episode but it always fakes me out, too. RTA the series ended in the summer of 1912. People were not discussing the idea of war until a couple of years later in summer of 1914. Felix does join the Navy at the end of the series but at that point there was no inkling that a war was coming.
I don't know why I remembered it from the series. Thanks for telling me I won't find it. I would have probably kept going over the last episodes until I go crazy to find that scene just to find which episode was the date on the newspaper. I'm trying to build my own timeline which turned out to be slightly different than the one on the forum. Not much just small things :)

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:52 am

I used to think maybe it was in an episode and drove myself crazy over it, too. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Yea I didn't find the Christmas special nearly as disappointing as I did when it originally aired. I think I found it disappointing because I was expecting certain things, Jasper was always my favorite character and so him "missing the ship" to Avonlea was a huge blow already for me. But then there was no Felix either (until the very end) or Sara, did they even mention her? Even a letter from Sara saying "I"m so sorry about Felix" or "Merry Christmas from France" to the Kings would have been better than nothing. You think Hetty would have been worried about Sara (or at least Felix!) during the war...but she seemed very concerned with herself. This was a very terrible moment for Hetty, which doesn't get much resolution by the end. It's still disappointing when I watch it today.

Watching it again, I noticed the really good points about it. I liked Olivia's small storyline about the music box, it is rather sweet. I also loved the appearance of Montgomery at a speaking age, even if his accent wasn't top notch. (he's a child...what were people expecting?) I thought the conflict Janet was going through was the most moving, the flashback scenes, the daydream scenes she had concerning her son. I also loved Daniel and wished we could have seen the series when he was going through childhood too.

I never really cared much for the Felicity/Gus pairing and so I still feel like the "pregnancy" thing was total pandering. What disappoints me now is that the writers never did anything to resolve her future. The episode where Felicity wants to go to medical school made such a huge deal over Felicity settling before doing anything with her life. I don't believe marriage and having a family suddenly makes you a slave, even at that time. I just think it's quite sad that the writers stopped caring about Felicity as a character for the sake of pairing her up. What does she do with herself all day?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Felixthecat50 wrote:But then there was no Felix either (until the very end)
And the beginning.
or Sara, did they even mention her?
Felicity did once, but she was recalling a memory she had of her with Felix. No one mentions Sara in the context of "where is she?" or "I hope she's safe and sound", which I found very disconcerting as well (and alluded to many-a-time in my TWoP-inspired recap of this...see link a few posts up), especially if she was still in the thick of it in France.
Even a letter from Sara saying "I"m so sorry about Felix" or "Merry Christmas from France" to the Kings would have been better than nothing. You think Hetty would have been worried about Sara (or at least Felix!) during the war...but she seemed very concerned with herself. This was a very terrible moment for Hetty, which doesn't get much resolution by the end. It's still disappointing when I watch it today.
Indeed.
I also loved the appearance of Montgomery at a speaking age, even if his accent wasn't top notch. (he's a child...what were people expecting?)
I was expecting Montgomery to sound like a Canadian, like his parents, not like a young Brit. That was my issue. He shouldn't have had a British accent, IMO.
I never really cared much for the Felicity/Gus pairing and so I still feel like the "pregnancy" thing was total pandering. What disappoints me now is that the writers never did anything to resolve her future. The episode where Felicity wants to go to medical school made such a huge deal over Felicity settling before doing anything with her life. I don't believe marriage and having a family suddenly makes you a slave, even at that time. I just think it's quite sad that the writers stopped caring about Felicity as a character for the sake of pairing her up. What does she do with herself all day?
Similarly, I'm not much of a Gus/Felicity fan. Their storyline in the series did little for me. I'm also one of the very few female fans of the show who was never really "captured" by Gus or, by extension, Michael Mahonen. (On a slight off-topic note, with the BBC version of Sherlock and the growing fanbase for Benedict Cumberbatch, it's like I'm being reminded of all the furore, if you like, for MM. Not to mention, in some photos, I find Benedict looks very much like MM did. I digress, though.)

Meanwhile, I always thought that, by the end of the series, Felicity's character was overdeveloped. She transformed from a vain, self-centred you-know-what to a compassionate young woman. She fell for Gus. She changed career paths from teacher's college to medical school. She lost her best friend and gave up medical school. Gus is presumed dead. She changes careers yet again from medical school student to keeper of a foundling home. She gets wind that Gus may still be alive, tracks him down, finds him sans eyesight, brings him home, they get married. Then she's forced to change careers a third time -- from foundling home keeper to instructor for the deaf, not to mention pregnant with her first child. I don't think the writers stopped caring about her; I think she was just so well-developed they didn't know what else to do other than have her change careers (again) and get pregnant.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:17 pm

especially if she was still in the thick of it in France.
Exactly...the invasion of France had already happened by then I believe (I definitely need to brush up on my knowledge of WW1 history), again it seemed strange to not hear anyone's thoughts at all concerning Sara's safety.
I was expecting Montgomery to sound like a Canadian, like his parents, not like a young Brit. That was my issue. He shouldn't have had a British accent, IMO.
I'm probably way over thinking this, but...I guess I found this to be such a minor annoyance, that it didn't phase me. I mean he was grow up in Britain, with British teachers and children. (in fact more of his life was spent in Britain than Avonlea, if you think about it). He may have even had a British nanny in Britain. Think about children of immigrant parents at the turn of the century. Their parents of course had accents, but the children, in order to assimilate better, tried to sound like their American peers. I guess that's how I look at it, Montgomery would be about 6 in Happy Christmas Miss King, so I'm sure the pressure of living in another country would have already shaped him culturally. I believe ages 6-8 is when a child starts to become culturally aware. He was only about 2 and a half when he left Avonlea (the part of your brain that deals with speech is still developing at that age) so being influenced by another culture when it comes to speech patterns is plausible.
Similarly, I'm not much of a Gus/Felicity fan. Their storyline in the series did little for me. I'm also one of the very few female fans of the show who was never really "captured" by Gus or, by extension, Michael Mahonen. (On a slight off-topic note, with the BBC version of Sherlock and the growing fanbase for Benedict Cumberbatch, it's like I'm being reminded of all the furore, if you like, for MM. Not to mention, in some photos, I find Benedict looks very much like MM did. I digress, though.)
Indeed, I was never quite enchanted by Gus like a lot of fans of this showed seemed to be. He was an interesting independent character in the beginning, but...I can think of so many characters who came onto the show, that I wish had stayed instead. (I really liked Caleb from Stranger in the Night for example)
Meanwhile, I always thought that, by the end of the series, Felicity's character was overdeveloped. She transformed from a vain, self-centred you-know-what to a compassionate young woman. She fell for Gus. She changed career paths from teacher's college to medical school. She lost her best friend and gave up medical school. Gus is presumed dead. She changes careers yet again from medical school student to keeper of a foundling home. She gets wind that Gus may still be alive, tracks him down, finds him sans eyesight, brings him home, they get married. Then she's forced to change careers a third time -- from foundling home keeper to instructor for the deaf, not to mention pregnant with her first child. I don't think the writers stopped caring about her; I think she was just so well-developed they didn't know what else to do other than have her change careers (again) and get pregnant.
That's a good point, I guess I never looked at it that way. Sometimes overdevelopment can be just as bad for a character as underdevelopment. I suppose at that point in the show, she had just become the "main" character in a way. It probably would have helped if they had focused on other things...a character doesn't always have to have a storyline to be relevant or interesting. But the writers weren't very big on interweaving side characters from what I've noticed. The random disappearance of Peter started to bother me as I watched the show again recently, you know they could have used him whenever Sara had a fight with Hetty. Have Sara relieve some of her anger on Peter or something. There's an interesting moment in season 5 in the episode Modern Times, where Peter makes a picnic basket for Felicity and Gus, that could have created an interesting moment for Peter, but he's only mentioned. Then there's Cecily who never seemed to have a storyline at all and yet had some nice moments as a side character.

Ah..I digress here. It does seem to be one of those story lines that writers often use to wrap up a show.