Laughable cover image for An Avonlea Christmas

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Laughable cover image for An Avonlea Christmas

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:52 pm

It looks like the cover for Happy Christmas Miss... Uh, I mean An Avonlea Christmas got a peculiar makeover. It's just become laughable. Did the designer fail to research this or did they just toss random pictures on the cover?

Just how many things are wrong with this cover?

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Re: Laughable cover image for An Avonlea Christmas

Post by hannikan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 pm

I think they just culled together as many winter photos as they could. I think the picture of them in the sleigh was a promotional photo for HCMK. But Felicity skating is from S3 (Calamitous Courting) and I guess the photo of Arthur is from Felicity's Perfect Beau (S4). I think it's even funnier that they show a photo of Felicity from the dinner in Heirs and Graces in the other photos.
Of course this photo is just as inaccurate:
That's Olivia holding Monty from Home Movie (S4). I guess they thought we wouldn't notice that Monty is 6-7 years old in HCMK...
ImageImageImageImage

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Actually I take it back. Looking more closely at that photo of Hetty, Olivia, Felix and Felicity in the sleigh it looks like it must have been a promotional picture from around S5, maybe S6.

ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 pm

That's too funny. :D I've always wondered where the sled image came from and figured it must have been in a promotional/press packet. I noticed too that they had an image of Felicity from Heirs and Graces and thought it was a wierd and random choice.

I also thought Arthur looked kind of strange on the Avonlea Christmas cover (and not just because he was obviously years younger). Here is another cover to compare it with and you'll see the image was flipped horizontally (and the sled was removed).

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:44 am

I honestly think the odd packaging is intentional marketing. The hardcore RTA fan will own this movie no matter who or what is on the cover, and using images from earlier seasons reminds consumers of the show they fell in love with- not necessarily the reality of HCMK. By changing the title, casual fans might believe there really was an Avonlea Christmas special that aired in the 4th season when an Arthur/Felicity cover would have been more appropriate. Besides the odd pictures, isn't it strange that they would advertise the special as being seen on Hallmark? What happened to CBC- aka the channel that co-produced it? I didn't think it aired on Hallmark until a few years later... and it's certainly not a Hallmark movie. Everything about HCMK has always seemed cheap to me- stock footage of the sets, a limited cast, and recycled stories. Even the publicity photos from HCMK were strange, which may be another reason to use old photos for the cover. Along with the infamous plate, this has to be one of the worst ever. I can't imagine it selling many DVDs...

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:36 am

Can anyone else no longer see any of the images? I thought it was weird that it said as seen on Hallmark but I guess that was the most recent place it was shown in the U.S. It was shown on Disney originally, of course. You would think there would be two versions, one that said originally seen on CBC for the Canadian market and one that said Hallmark and Disney for the U.S. market. Although I don't know that HCMK was ever shown on Disney, so that may not be accurate.

ETA: Nevermind, now I can see them again. Maybe you have to be logged in. That photo is strange because Cecily's missing. I think the funky scrapbook style is supposed to be from the WWI era actually. They all look startled except Janet and Daniel.
ImageImageImageImage

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 pm

If you are a producer, you will also try to make an appealing cover for people who never saw RTA. Those who are fans already will buy it anyway.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by HistoryMiner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Maybe they decided to put Hallmark instead of CBC because most of the sales are from the US, and Canadians who buy would know the "Hallmark" brand whereas American buyers might wonder what CBC was.

But definitely, LOL at the cover.

Though to put it in perspective, the original cover for "A Wind at My Back Christmas" featured characters who did not even appear in the movie. And the promotional clip for the movie on the Sullivan website is not actually footage from the movie, but from an episode, which again, features characters who aren't even in the movie. I think this might be a textbook example of false advertising. :lol:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:10 am

StoryJan wrote:Everything about HCMK has always seemed cheap to me- stock footage of the sets, a limited cast, and recycled stories. Even the publicity photos from HCMK were strange, which may be another reason to use old photos for the cover. Along with the infamous plate, this has to be one of the worst ever. I can't imagine it selling many DVDs...
That's the worst publicity image I've seen for an RTA related production. I can just imagine the perfectionist Kevin Sullivan furious over this image.
HistoryMiner wrote:Maybe they decided to put Hallmark instead of CBC because most of the sales are from the US, and Canadians who buy would know the "Hallmark" brand whereas American buyers might wonder what CBC was.
It does appear that the US is the target audience and because they probably can't mention Disney, they have to go with one of the few US broadcasters that picked up Avonlea in syndication. I guess it didn't matter that RTA was not really successful on Hallmark.

It's pretty shameless marketing to give the impression that 'An Avonlea Christmas' is about a young Arthur and Felicity. I can only imagine the surprise when the unsuspecting viewer realizes that Arthur and Felicity are older than the image, only play supporting roles, and never actually meet in the movie.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:02 pm

I don't think anyone who watched RTA all the way through would think that Arthur and Felicity were going to get together again though after she married Gus. I guess maybe if they hadn't seen season 7. The only thing it might confuse you with is that you missed some Christmas movie made in the middle of the show. I did think that when I originally saw the DVD listed with Olivia on the cover before I'd ever heard of the movie. I hadn't seen season 7 either (or even all of 6) at that point. And I was confused by that image with the title Happy Christmas Miss King. I knew Olivia married Jasper in season 3 though so I thought well, they wouldn't have divorced? Did he die? But because of the cover image I definitely thought Olivia would be the focus and I thought it was done earlier on, before the show ended. I guess we're to think the baby Olivia is holding is Alecia but even she was much older by HCMK. She was probably almost 3 by then.
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:11 am

Instead of the current back-to-school writing contest, Sully should have a design-the-dvd cover contest for HCMK. I think many fans in the Avonlea community could do a better job creating a cover that is a better depiction of the movie. I know I would love to have access to high quality versions of their publicity photos and stills... with the exception of the one I shared above! :)

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Yeah, I'm sure we'd love to design a cover. And we'd be more accurate about it. The season 3 cover bugs me because the church in the background is not where Jasper and Olivia got married nor is it any church ever used on RTA! It doesn't look like a Protestant church from the period at all. How many images of Pine Grove must they have?! Heck I have some I took myself I'd be happy to donate... and while we're at it why isn't Jonathan Crombie on the cover listed as a guest star?

ImageImageImageImage

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:53 pm

I have to say, Alec got balder each season ...
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:15 am

StoryJan wrote:Besides the odd pictures, isn't it strange that they would advertise the special as being seen on Hallmark? What happened to CBC- aka the channel that co-produced it? I didn't think it aired on Hallmark until a few years later...
HCMK/AAC aired on Hallmark -- then Odyssey -- a year after it originally aired on CBC. It never aired on Disney.
hannikan wrote:Actually I take it back. Looking more closely at that photo of Hetty, Olivia, Felix and Felicity in the sleigh it looks like it must have been a promotional picture from around S5, maybe S6.

It's definitely not for HCMK. No one looks like they did in 1998.

This one's the most bizarre photo of the ones in this thread, IMO. Mag/Olivia and Jackie/Hetty could be from almost any season (the former, however, has a different hairstyle in HCMK). Gema/Felicity looks as if she did in S4 or S5 (maybe S3?). Zach/Felix... from the neck down it looks like S4 or earlier, but from the neck up...it's like someone tried to make him look like S6 or whatever, but it's a massive case of Photoshopping fail. Actually, I have a larger one of this on my other computer from the CTV website (I'll upload it later).
StoryJan wrote:Instead of the current back-to-school writing contest, Sully should have a design-the-dvd cover contest for HCMK. I think many fans in the Avonlea community could do a better job creating a cover that is a better depiction of the movie. I know I would love to have access to high quality versions of their publicity photos and stills... with the exception of the one I shared above! :)
HQ versions of their publicity photos and still would be great to have, full stop! :) And actually, I'm tempted to do this just for laughs. *nods*
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:08 pm

I think the sled picture is from S5. Felicity almost always had her hair down in S4 still. Felix looks similar to how he does in Fathers and Sons in it, too. He doesn't look as old as he did in S6 to me. Plus it seems like they took a lot of whole family promotional pictures (or ones that were not just the children like they did in earlier seasons) in S5. It's interesting to show Hetty and Olivia with Felix and Felicity but no Sara. Felix and Felicity rarely interacted with Olivia (or Hetty by the middle seasons, esp Felix).

I think you should totally make a mock up HCMK cover, Shelly.
ImageImageImageImage