Your Favorite RTA Opening Credits

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Your Favorite RTA Opening Credits

Post by janbo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 am

I remember how much I liked beginings of RTA,.. Opening Credits .. with great music and great sceens from RTA episodes... I'm sure you fans know openings well so, I'd like to know your opinion..
What's your favorite Opening Credits in RTA series ???

I must say all were great for me, but I loved the season 6 Openings with beautiful sceene with ocean and lighthouse in the begining and those great sceenes with actors and how they were presented, changing from one to another with flower and umbrella ... I missed Sarah Polley though...
I also like Season 4 openings ( great music and sceens )...

I didn't like Season 7 openings ... not very good selection of main characters sceens.. Gema wasn't presented among them ( anybody knows why ? )...

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Re: Your Favorite RTA Opening Credits

Post by StoryJan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:21 am

Gema only guest-starred during Season 7 appearing in only 4 episodes; she wasn't a regular cast member and was sorely missed (by me and a few million other RTA fans, I imagine).

I have a hard time picking a favorite opening credits. I love, love, love the first season because it was essentially all landscapes. I thought it really set the tone for a series where the setting was essentially a character unto itself. The scene where the children are running in the field towards Rose Cottage is iconic; when I think of RTA, this is what comes to mind. I thought everything about Season 2 was perfection, including the opening credits. I loved the addition of the cast member medium shots without losing the pastoral landscapes. When Season 3 first aired, I remember being really excited about the changes in music tempo. I thought the scenes they used really captured what I loved most about the series ending with the slow fade-out of the ghost ship from "Sea Ghost." So the first three seasons are tied in my book, but if I had to choose an absolute favorite, I would pick Season 2.

I didn't care for the later seasons quite as much. By Season 4, Zach and Gema finally had their own individual picture credit, but I didn't like the cuts as much as Season 3. Season 5- why did everyone receive an updated picture except Felicity, who appears to be aging backwards? Her photo was from "How Kissing Was Discovered," way back in Season 2. Season 6's credits always made me feel like a I missed out on a really great Harvest Party/Founder's Day episode. Hetty in a bicycle race? Come on, I want to see that in context! And Season 7... I actually like the part where the cannery blew up on beat with the music, but I was sweating that moment out the entire season. I also wish they would have replaced angry bicycle Izzy with a smiling Izzy. With no Gema and no Sarah, the opening credits were a weekly reminder of how much seemed to be missing from this season.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 pm

My favorite was the first season intro, particularly because I liked the original theme music arrangement--short and sweet. The second season intro is a close favorite.

btw, speaking of Sea Ghost, today is the 20th anniversary of the episode airing. :shock:

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 pm

I actually like the S6 credits, though yeah, I would've liked to see all those scenes in a normal episode.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

joelisa
Found work at the Cannery

Post by joelisa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:50 am

for me it´s season 1 hands down. I love the music arrangment more than the later more up-tempo one, and the shots are unearthly beautiful. The second season opening I love as well. Season 6 and 7 I don´t like so much, they feel overdone by comparison to the eraly ones I think.

I was wondering, those of you who have the widescreen-dvds; have they included the openings to begin every episode? I kinda miss the openings on my dvds.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:14 pm

We talked about this on another board, too. Here's what I wrote:
It's really hard to choose because I think they're all so beautiful. Welsman's music was so great. As much as I love the original, sweet and slow version I love the later ones for their sense of momentum and excitement. Plus he gets more of the Celtic influence in there, too. And instead of it being all winds, he gets some nice brass in there, too. I think seasons 1 and 2 are the same score, 3 and 4 are the same, 5, 6 and 7 are the same, too. So there are really only 3 different versions, with each season having different visuals. Welsman did all the variations by the way. Here they are for reference.

S1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al1lfr4K ... re=related
S2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddSwigDd ... re=related
S3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK4FvXHs ... re=related
S4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6QfYDSk ... re=related
S5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3LlhCS ... re=related
S6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BghNLbB ... re=related
S7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMomIGQn ... re=related

I think I like season 3 the best, too because I love the score and I like the visuals the best of all. But I also really like season 5. I love the score and the visuals, too. I think S6 is my least favorite because none of the visuals are actually from any episodes. I still like it but not quite as much.

I agree about it being weird that Felicity's shot in the S5 opening was from S2 (and early S2).

Yes, the widescreen DVDs do have the opening theme in each episode.
ImageImageImageImage

janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by janbo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:37 am

I found in YT a new ( lets say HD ) video of RTA 1st season and I got surprised that opening credits were remade.. actually, shots are pritty similar to original ones, but not the same ones..
watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYCgMj31K8

and this was the original TV opening credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al1lfr4KdL4

Why that was done ? Do they changed openings for all seasons ?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:33 am

janbo wrote:I found in YT a new ( lets say HD ) video of RTA 1st season and I got surprised that opening credits were remade.. actually, shots are pritty similar to original ones, but not the same ones..
watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYCgMj31K8

and this was the original TV opening credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al1lfr4KdL4

Why that was done ? Do they changed openings for all seasons ?
When Sullivan and co. restored/remastered S1 and converted it to "HD", I think some of the scenes in the titles couldn't be used for various reasons (previously invisible telephone poles became more visible, for example). I did recognize what looked to be Davey and Dora running with a dog in one part of the remastered DVD titles. (They don't appear until S2, of course.)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm

No, that's Felix and Sara running with the dog and that was on the original credits. I can't remember which episode it's from but I want to say it's TSGEHN. I noticed the dog is also in the part where they are all walking on the red road earlier in the credits. You couldn't see the dog originally. I wonder if that dog was the same dog who played Digger later.
ImageImageImageImage

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Overall, I liked the Season 3 Opening the most. Though it's partially because it's the one I remember from my childhood most, I think it's put together the best! All of the cuts go well with the music (Felicity falling in the horse trough, Hetty and Romney dancing, Gus playing the fiddle).

But for the cast shots, I liked...

Sara in Season 2
Hetty in Season 4
Olivia in Season Season 4
Felicity/Felix in Season 2
Alec/Janet in Season 7

I thought the best versions of the opening credits were with the first use of music... For example, I thought the cuts in Season 3 were better than those in Season 4. I thought the cuts in Season 5 were overall better than those in Season's 6 and 7. Though the shot of the cannery being hit by lightning in Season 7 was very well timed.
StoryJan wrote:Season 5- why did everyone receive an updated picture except Felicity, who appears to be aging backwards? Her photo was from "How Kissing Was Discovered," way back in Season 2.
I never really got that either. And the shots of everyone else were for the opening credits only, not from episodes. The only thing I could think of was that maybe Gema wasn't available for the credits shoot. Still they could have pulled a more recent shot.

They shortened the music at the beginning in Season 7, but it wasn't a very clean cut. That bothers me too. Of course, Sullivan seems to be tweaking the credits with the re-release, so maybe it'll be smoothed out, or re-recorded by the time Season 7 is re-released... hopefully within the next 5 years or so...

One last note... did anyone notice that they swapped out the shot of Jackie Burroughs in the Season 3 re-release? The shot they have now is similar, but it's not the same, and it's slowed down.

janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by janbo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm

I also dont like the cut music in 7th season ( I actually think 7th season had the worst opening credits )...
and never understood Felicity's shot in season 5 either !

my favorite shots for each characters:

Sara - season 2
Hetty - season 4
Olivia - season 3
Felix - season 5
Felicity - season 6
Alec&Janet - season 2

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 pm

I don't think I ever really noticed the dog until now, but you can see him hidden behind the logo in the original opening credits. He darts to left just as it's fading to the next scene. The second shot where the children are running beside a fence has definitely changed. In the original, there was a group of children (the original 5 King cousins), and in the recent version, there are only two. I think they are supposed to be Felix and Sara, but I'm not convinced they are actually Zach and Sarah. What's throwing me is the red-trimmed fence they are running beside in both versions. I can't remember seeing a red-trimmed fence in any of the episodes.

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by HistoryMiner » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Some of the children in the opening credits seem to be body doubles, maybe from the establishing shot from PEI?

It is interesting how the new opening credits are different. They've tried to find a similar shot... the Church, riding by the shore, etc., even if the specific shot itself is not exactly the same.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Yeah the ones from S1 are often the body doubles because the actors didn't go to PEI. So all the shots on the beach are body doubles. Speaking of shots being modified for the widescreen editions did anyone else notice the mistake modification they did in OLL? At the end of the episode, Felix gives Sara a photo of her mother as a young girl (the same age as Sara in S1). In the widescreen it is the same photo we've seen already of her as a teenager. I wonder why they did that. It was really strange for Sara to then be surprised by it and say I've never seen a picture of her as a girl before. It was the same picture Hetty had of her sitting out on the mantle and tables.
ImageImageImageImage

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by HistoryMiner » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Oh gosh, that is not good. You should tell them... that's a huge mistake. :(