Dreaming of Avonlea

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
janbo
Planted Magic Seeds

Dreaming of Avonlea

Post by janbo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:10 am

Have you ever dream about Avonlea ?
I have ... often I must say.. I just dream them, those characters.. or just the town and places and myself being there.. or watching Avonlea in TV hehehe... and I always like to dream it ( eventhough I wake up a bit dissapointed when I realise it was just my imaginations and not a reality )...

Alan King
Bright Station Arrival

Re: Dreaming of Avonlea

Post by Alan King » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:06 am

For me avonlea is like a drem world.its my heaven.i always dreaming about avonlea and living in its lighthouse.

Dr Hetty King
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Dr Hetty King » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am

Well, that makes three of us now! :D Sometimes I find myself visualizing and reconstructing directions between the General Store and the King farm and Hetty Kings house. The general store is the best. Do we really need 20 different kinds of oatmeal and 65 kinds of preserves today? NO! I also wonder how far the White Sands was from Avonlea. May I also add that I just love Janet's kitchen and Hetty's house? :)
“No amount of money would be enough to put up someone whose airs and graces outweigh common sense.” -Hetty King

C.L.Reilly
Bright Station Arrival

Post by C.L.Reilly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I was just reintroduced to Avonlea this Christmas after 17 years and let me tell you, I know I was born in the wrong era. I dream of Avonlea as you do and wish for it to return us to it's own reality. Perhaps one day I'll own my own land enough to build a full scale replica of the town. It's been my dream since I'm a little girl. Off to watch the 6th season...I'll need tissues again. Hopefully there are more of us in this world than we think that hold Avonlea so close to heart.

Felixthecat50
Pat's Meow

Post by Felixthecat50 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:24 pm

I used to think the characters on Avonlea were the most sophisticated people ever and that the belle époque was the most sophisticated time period. Today? Well I'm rather glad to live when we do with proper medicine. We always tend to portray the turn of the century with such rose colored glasses, but if you really think about it...life was cruel back then.

People forget just how hard life was back then, especially for people living in the cities which were filled with choking coal soot, smoke, horse manure. The water wasn't clean, at least not like we know it today. So the risk of typhus and cholera was high and the risk of polio, meningitis, influenza, etc... You also had a high risk of upper respiratory infections, tuberculosis and TB. Sure you had street sweepers, but most people lived in cramped squalid neighborhoods which are breeding grounds for all sorts of diseases. Many people did not see trees and grass and even the sun through the soot filled skies in some cases.

I suppose living in a farming community in a place like Avonlea was the best one could ask for back in those days. However, even then places like that had similar risks.

Today's modern society does want for a lot. A sense of community has been lost as we've all huddled far away from each other in isolated suburban sprawl. I'm not sure if we can ever have the best of both worlds, it seems we sacrifice emotional comfort for physical security and comfort