Ezekiel - Dead Beat Dad?

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Ezekiel - Dead Beat Dad?

Post by Timothy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:59 am

At the Avonlea Message Board Q/A chat, Kevin Sullivan revealed that he fully intended for Ezekiel Crane to be Gus's father and that Michael Mahonen and Michael York played their characters with this knowledge in mind.

Why didn't Ezekiel Crane tell Gus that he was his father after 'Sea Ghost?' Do you think that he wanted to avoid the responsibility?

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:58 pm

It has been ages since I have viewed the episodes, but I don't think he was avoiding responsibility. Gus had been through a lot of upheaval his entire life and was now adjusting to a normal life in Avonlea so maybe Ezekiel wanted to avoid telling him right away in order to make sure Gus had some stability.

Plus, how oftend does Ezekiel show up during the course of the series? To tell Gus he was his father and then leave would have been too heartbreaking during the second season.

Valancy
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Valancy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:22 am

If Ezekiel was Gus's father, why did he get Gus to do most of the work to find the treasure and then take it all and only give Gus one ring? Wouldn't a father want to share more with his son (especially one who had been without for his entire life) now that he was able to?

If he was staying at the lighthouse to watch over Gus from a distance, why does he feel this responsibility is over when he finds treasure?

I haven't seen the episode for a long time, so I may be forgetting details but his actions do not seem very fatherly.
LM Montgomery fan

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:50 pm

Well, from later episodes and the episode itself, we see that Ezekiel is a pirate who has run into some very bad people and by taking all the treasure and not acknowledging that Gus is his, he saves Gus from the possibility of having some very bad run-ins in the future.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:55 am

Wild Roses wrote:Well, from later episodes and the episode itself, we see that Ezekiel is a pirate who has run into some very bad people and by taking all the treasure and not acknowledging that Gus is his, he saves Gus from the possibility of having some very bad run-ins in the future.
One of the problems with Crane leaving is that he is leaving Gus at the mercy of the dangerous Captain Borden (All That Glitters). Ezekiel also uses Gus as a decoy so he can get the real treasure, while not seeming to care that he is putting his son in harms way. Once Borden realized that he was duped, he would likely return for revenge and Gus would probably be the first interrogated about Crane's whereabouts.

Crane tells Gus that Borden is "welcome to anything he can get his hands on." Does that mean Gus too? It's true that Gus might encounter some bad people if he chose to leave with Ezekiel, but it's irresponsible for Crane to abandon his son to the wolf Borden.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:10 pm

Valancy wrote:If Ezekiel was Gus's father, why did he get Gus to do most of the work to find the treasure and then take it all and only give Gus one ring? Wouldn't a father want to share more with his son (especially one who had been without for his entire life) now that he was able to?
It does seem selfish of Crane to only give Gus one ring after Gus risked his neck. Crane did however, say Gus could go with him and "share what's mine," but that's only if Gus went with him. Maybe he thought Gus could be used further as a decoy against his enemies, since he shows no indication of wanting to take any paternal responsibility.
Valancy wrote:If he was staying at the lighthouse to watch over Gus from a distance, why does he feel this responsibility is over when he finds treasure?
It's a valid question. It appears that the main reason Crane was staying was because of the treasure. At the end of 'All That Glitters,' Crane remarks, "I don't see no point staying on this blasted lighthouse now that the treasure's been found." Why the need to watch Gus from afar then? At first it sounded fatherly, but after AtG, it sounds like he was just hanging around until he got the treasure.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:21 am

Timothy wrote:Why the need to watch Gus from afar then? At first it sounded fatherly, but after AtG, it sounds like he was just hanging around until he got the treasure.
To me it sounded like Captain Crane had been watching Gus from afar even when he was a baby, which would have been long before Gus arrived in Avonlea. And Crane didn't need Gus to get the treasure; its not as though Gus was Will Turner (PotC).
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:23 pm

Gwendolene wrote:To me it sounded like Captain Crane had been watching Gus from afar even when he was a baby, which would have been long before Gus arrived in Avonlea.
According to 'Return of Gus Pike,' Gus spent his early childhood in Avonlea. Ol' Abe, Eliza and little Gus lived not far from Pat Frewen's farm.
Gwendolene wrote:And Crane didn't need Gus to get the treasure; its not as though Gus was Will Turner (PotC).
Crane needed Gus as a decoy in 'All That Glitters' so that he could lure Borden away and find the real treasure. He's got poor Gus digging holes in the wrong place and later puts him in harms way. The ruthless Borden could have easily killed Gus. It suggests that Crane was more interested in the treasure than his own son's life. That doesn't sound very fatherly.

TLW
Bright Station Arrival

Re:

Post by TLW » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

Valancy wrote:If Ezekiel was Gus's father, why did he get Gus to do most of the work to find the treasure and then take it all and only give Gus one ring? Wouldn't a father want to share more with his son (especially one who had been without for his entire life) now that he was able to?

If he was staying at the lighthouse to watch over Gus from a distance, why does he feel this responsibility is over when he finds treasure?

I haven't seen the episode for a long time, so I may be forgetting details but his actions do not seem very fatherly.
Perhaps you could interpret it as he did not know for sure or even at all that Gus was his son. Remember, Crane's picture was hidden in the back of the picture of Abe and Eliza. When Gus asks Eliza about it she never does answer does she? She's still off in her own little world.