Avonlea Mismanagement of Funds

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Avonlea Mismanagement of Funds

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri May 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Have you ever noticed how funds do not go to where they are suppose to in Avonlea?

Post here to share Avonlea Funds that did NOT go where they were meant too. Share theories of where the money may have gone.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Re: Avonlea Mismanagement of Funds

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 pm

In the Story Girl, Sara Stanley was given a check for $1000 from Mr. Campbell. The funds were donated for the school library. Mr. Campbell only required that the new library be named after his mother. So, where is the new library? Hmm...and what happen to the money if it was NOT used to build a library...

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat May 25, 2019 12:35 pm

My guess is Mr. Campbell's check bounced. Next, the church roof...

Reverend Leonard bets on the Misfits to defeat the Avengers in 'Misfits and Miracles' and was planning to use the money to pay for the church roof. In later episodes we find the church roof is never paid for. Leonard disappeared after this episode, presumably with the money. :shock:

Compelled by his amazing new-found gambling ability which he credits to divine intervention, Reverend Leonard was convinced that he could gamble for higher stakes and win money to build a larger and more extravagant church. Leonard finds a secret gambling society in Charlottetown and bets all his hard won money. Unfortunately, he loses everything to shipping tycoon James Jamieson. Disgraced, Leonard leaves Avonlea and his whereabouts are unknown.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 am

Good one on Reverend Leonard. There more to this story...

Reverend Leonard also joined up with Mr. Larson at the general store in a horse betting ring. Mr. Larson's share of the winnings went into the church collection plate due to Mrs. Larson's requirement. Thus, Reverend Leonard gets both shares of the money. Then, to make matters worst, their private horse betting dealings end up in Avonlea chronicle's Madame X column.

That Avonlea's church roof never seems to get fixed. Back in Season 2 "All that Glitters", Rachel and the current Reverend were looking for treasure to fund fixing the church roof. They find the wealth in the Word of God (a Bible) and the names of the founders of Avonlea but alas, no money.

I wonder if in Dunnville, the city of the future,( Dreamer of Dreams Season 2), would have fixed it? or perhaps the railroad went straight through the church.

Does the church roof ever get fixed? or is this a case of mismanagement of funds? Wasn't Felicity and Gus's Wedding in that church (Season 7)? Guess it was lucky that it wasn't raining on their wedding day :wink:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:33 am

I like how the dealings end up in the Madame X column! :lol:

My guess is that the church would have been replaced for train tracks or a Dunn distillery. Which come to think of it would have made Viola Elliot happy. :wink:

It may have been fixed by whoever took over the church after Elliot. Not sure.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:48 am

So in The Great Race (Season 5), Mr. Pettibone intends on winning the race and giving the $10 prize money to the school library fund. Also, Janet is making a blanket to sell to help with the fundraising for library fund. Hmm....still wondering what happened to Mr. Campbell's $1000 donation.

Is this case of Hetty and Clive disagreeing on the type of books needed? Maybe Clive is trying to re-stock the library with much "better" books.
Either that or did the kids destroy the books in Another Point of View (Season 3), when the School Board was trying to find a new teacher?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm

I completely forgot that Clive Pettibone was going to give his reward money to the school library fund. And Janet... And Mr. Campbell... With all the donations they should have been able to build an actual library building.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm

In watching Season 5, The Minister's Wife, there is Church board meeting. The main purpose of the meeting is to tell the Reverend to "rein in his wife". However, right before that discussion it is brought up someone says that the church roof is now paid for. So the Church roof did get fixed.

(oh-darn...I guess that has be scratch off the mismanagement of funds list)

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Good catch Miss Lewis, I didn't notice that. I guess maybe Fitzsimmons pulled it off.

Miss Lewis
Cured Peter Craig

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Remind me of who Fitzsimmons was and what he pulled off realting to the roof? (I know I should know but I am drawing a blank at the moment).

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Yeah, he's kind of easy to forget. Fitzsimmons was a rather boisterous reverend who first appeared in 'Vows of Silence,' probably because of the 'end of the world' theme. He was only in one other episode, Evelyn. Other than than he really didn't have much impact on the series. To my knowledge he is the only known reverend that served between Leonard and Elliot in the fifth season.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:53 pm

Here's a mismanagement of funds that was the plot that started the series and the reason Sara was sent to Avonlea.

In Journey Begins, Blair Stanley faces embezzlement charges after the Montreal businessman's accountant, Mr. Abernathy, flees with the money from Stanley imports.

To my knowledge, I was the first person to note that this plot was incredibly similar to Montgomery's short story 'The Redemption of John Churchill.' In my #2 note from 'The Journey Begins' I wrote:
In this short story, a child is sent to live with his Aunt while his father, John Churchill, is imprisoned for embezzlement. . Similar to this episode, the child is taunted by a peer about the crime, the guardian Aunt is strongly against the father, and the child unconditionally defends him with the fierce loyalty of a Sara Stanley.
We don't hear much more about the mysterious Abernathy. Was he caught and imprisoned? I guess he was just a plot device.