Are LMM's Works Evil?

Discuss the author's literature and life.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Are LMM's Works Evil?

Post by Timothy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:38 pm

I recently revisited a journal article by Mary Van Nattan about Lucy Maud Montgomery. Van Nattan begins with her perspectives on Montgomery's heroines:

To begin with, her heroines tend to be strong-willed, independent, young women who do not need a man too much. This is so prevalent today in our society of "liberated women" that are in bondage to their own lusts, that it may not seem so very awful in Montgomery's books. But, it is books like hers that paved the way for the feminist movement of today!

The journal article moves on to address Montgomery's dabbling in the paranormal in her literature:

These kinds of story lines hardly come from a pure and godly mind... Montgomery's diligence in putting things in her stories regarding witches, ghosts and spiritualist type things shows that she had a very sick heart and mind. The ESP and out-of-body experiences in the Emily books are portrayed as good things and not discredited in the story line as some false thing or a tale. This indicates it is likely that Montgomery actually believed in these "gifts" of Satan.

After reading a review for Montgomery's 'Among the Shadows,' a collection of LMM's darker works, Van Nattan wrote that Montgomery "had an evil heart that rejoiced in creating tales of wickedness." Finally, the author's influence on children is discussed as well as her opinion on how God views LMM's works:

L. M. Montgomery had a real talent for writing, making her books very powerful tools for her father the devil. Her grandparents that raised her were said to be religious, meaning that she could easily have rejected the gospel in her youth. Her writing is certainly not pure, lovely, and of good report. These books will soil children's minds. They make suggestions that are contrary to Scripture in promoting Humanism and casting devilish activity as good. You may be sure that stories that glorify these things would not be acceptable in the sight of the Lord either.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with the author? Do you think Montgomery's works are evil and corrupt the minds of children? Do you agree with the perspective on the liberated woman?

Read the full article.

Mariposa
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Mariposa » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:23 am

My first thought: You must be kidding me. I think my eyes almost dropped out of my head when I first saw the title of this topic. =P

I've read the entire article, and.. wow. That is completely ridiculous.

I guess if LMM's works were classified as religious books "Mary Van Nattan" would have reason to compare it against what the bible says, but they're fiction, and that doesn't mean she only had to write solely about her beliefs, or all things "pure" (what she listed as examples didn't strike me as something dark and evil.. but my idea of evil is probably very different from hers).

I also don't see why it's so bad for a girl to be a "strong-willed, independent, young woman", but I guess I'm just one of those modern girls who wouldn't understand. :D

Her reading material must be pretty slim if human emotions/feelings aren't allowed in the books in her library.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:20 pm

I've this article before. It is an amusing read.

Many of the points in her article, I do agree with. I think her fundie approach completely tears to shreds any common sense she might have (or was never born with). She is right on target in describing the best of what makes LMM's work click. Too bad she critiques it.

It actually surprises me that LMM's book are sold in Christian catalogues. (Not this woman's obviously, but many Christian bookstores do carry the Anne books, at least.) Despite being a minister's wife, LMM's beliefs clearly aren't those of Christianity. She does embrace (and wrote of in her journals in more detail) her beliefs in ghosts, visions (she apparently had several during her lifetime), agnosticism, paganism, etc. The Christianity when presented in her books too is clearly something a fundie would never embrace either. (Which is probably why author of this memorable article tore LMM up so.)

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:32 am

Mariposa wrote:My first thought: You must be kidding me. I think my eyes almost dropped out of my head when I first saw the title of this topic. =P

I've read the entire article, and.. wow. That is completely ridiculous.

I guess if LMM's works were classified as religious books "Mary Van Nattan" would have reason to compare it against what the bible says, but they're fiction, and that doesn't mean she only had to write solely about her beliefs, or all things "pure" (what she listed as examples didn't strike me as something dark and evil.. but my idea of evil is probably very different from hers).

I also don't see why it's so bad for a girl to be a "strong-willed, independent, young woman", but I guess I'm just one of those modern girls who wouldn't understand. :D

Her reading material must be pretty slim if human emotions/feelings aren't allowed in the books in her library.
I'm sure Van Nattan has a lot of books on her shelf that are considered evil; and she's read everyone of them... To warn us of course. :wink:

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:26 pm

And secretly, she really enjoys them. :D
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

heartsandflowers
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by heartsandflowers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 am

The way I see it! It's all a bunch of nonsense! There are a lot more things nowaday that might be considered 'evil' than LMM's work!!

Yeah everyone, I'm still here :)
Just don't have lots of time to post much:(
"Felicity,did I hear you cheering for the other team..."Alec King

The Story Girl
Found work at the Cannery

Post by The Story Girl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:15 pm

The answer is no. Seriosuly, i read the article from the link above. The woman doesn't know what she's talking about. L. M. Montgomery's work is not evil. It's very entertaining and it takes a person back to the victiorian days. If it was evil, then why are the works still being published ? Why are people still buying the books of all ages- in fact why is there even versions of the Anne of Green Gables books and also The Story Girl? That lady should answer these questions
Avonlea is my second home.

anne is best
Bright Station Arrival

Post by anne is best » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:46 am

i think the interpretation of LM Montgomery's works depends on the evility of those reading them. so, for all those of you who think these stunning pieces of literature are evil, all i can say is you too are evil for even considering such an objectionable idea. over and out, fellow anne fans.

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:25 pm

You people need to stop talking trash about someones religion. What did this woman do to you? All of you claim to be kindred spirits and Anne-like, but then you go and attack this woman for simply expressing her beliefs like your holier than thou. Maybe you all should remove the beam from your own eyes first.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:48 am

I don't think anyone's talking trash about anybody's religion. The majority on this forum disagree with the writer of that article's premise that Montgomery's works are evil.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 pm

In fact, NONE of these posts have trashed Mary Van Nattan's faith, only what she says and her fundamentalism. Last I checked, one had every right to do that, regardless of their own beliefs.

Going through it, she makes one glaring error (Wild Roses can probably attest to this): She claims books like LMM's "paved the way for the feminist movement of today!". Feminism was already in existence when AofGG was first published! At that time it was in its "first wave". Granted, it would take a while before it went mainstream (if you will...and that would've been when the "second wave" occurred in the 1960s); but even then, I seriously doubt LMM's literature had much of an impact on feminism or feminists.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Without getting overly argumentative... LMM was a minister's wife which means she probably shared her husband's faith to some degree (or at least was not opposed.... I have yet to read the journals) and it really does reflect badly on my religion to have a "believer" calling people children of the devil. This is not a view most of us take!
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Shinnen
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Shinnen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:32 pm

This is an interesting topic. :D
I have a christian view of life, and it never occured to me while I read L.M Montgomery's books that they were evil. There are different opinions among christians, so I didn't agree with everything in her books, but I still enjoyed reading them. I see those things that she wrote about witches and ghost to be stories, and the views of children (I was scared of ghost when I was young!). For example, in 'The Story Girl', the story is written in the perspective a young boy and shows how the other young people thought.
I'm not trying to bash this woman who wrote the article, because if she feels convicted in herself not to read them, then that's alright. I also think it's brave to stand up for one's own opinion. :-)
O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee; I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. ~George Matheson

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 am

I love Montgomery's supernatural works. They are very exciting and mysterious. Many of these stories were derived from island folk tales and ghost stories of Prince Edward Island.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 pm

I agree with Shinnen. I never found Maud's works evil. Just...natureful. Maud loved nature and she expressed that. They deffinately aren't all Christian, but they aren't bad or anything. Another bored person. :roll: