Anne was lesbin

Discuss the author's literature and life.
TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Anne was lesbin

Post by TrueChristian » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:03 am

I loved reading anne of green gables because it was about good values. Now I saw this and it said anne and diana was lesbin.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDCC-1-68-1630-1 ... ontgomery/

I cant read anne anymore. its sad. :cry:

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:28 am

The theory that Anne Shirley may have been or ever was a lesbian is just that a theory. Anne and Diana had a great affection and loved each other as friends only. No one can really prove that Anne was a lesbian. I very much disagree with the theory that Anne ever was a lesbian.

All she ever wanted in her life was to be loved by people who care about her. Most of all she wanted to find her bosom friend and a true kindred spirit, she found those things when she met Diana. Anne and Diana became lifelong friends and always will be friends with great affection for each other.

felicity18

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:50 am

That's ridiculous. Anne wasn't lesbian at all. That was just their way of expressing affection in any way for eachother. I wouldn't let it bother you. :roll:

Shinnen
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Shinnen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:24 pm

At the time period, it is doubtful that they are. I don't think they are; the same thing was said about Sam and Frodo from 'Lord of The Rings'. I agree with AvonLea; you don't have to worry about it.
O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee; I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. ~George Matheson

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:51 pm

Whoever wrote that was just giving their opinion; they weren't stating it as fact. That said, even if Anne and Diana were lesbians (they weren't), I don't think that's a legitimate reason to keep you from reading the books.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

ol' gus
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by ol' gus » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 am

I'll be darned if that was the case!-
I agree with all the responces to the query-
Like most people these days, everybody trying to stir up something over nothing-
I know hundreds of Christians who watch AoGG-
(and that bloody excuse of a production- Anne3)
Personally, Sullivan could have eliminated some of the 'wording'- but- still, theres no Anne, just Sullivan coming through-)
I would have liked seeing House of Dreams/Rilla of Ingleside made into movies- See no reason why that couldnt have been done-
Do Jack Garrison up a little older, and a perfect Whiskers-on-the-Moon!
This here fiddle goes where I go.. even to th' outhouse- GUS

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Its been ages since I've posted in this forum, because I lost my password and couldn't remember it, and then it took me a bit longer to remember which email address I had activated my account under so I could get a new password.

However, people. The author of this theory did NOT say Anne was a lesbian. She was using Adrienne Rich's essay....oh, the title escapes me, which examines how female friendship throughout history could be a cover to hide lesbianism. BUT also how women don't need to be lesbians to be close female friends, HOWEVER, close female friends were often accused of being lesbians. Its a long, complex and fascinating theory. Yes, Rich is a feminist and the scholar who used Rich's theory is probably also a feminist too.

Also, since I got quite a laugh out of the responses in this topic, I might add gay and lesbians have been around for more than a century. Walt Whitman was gay. Read his poetry for proof. Not the patrotic ones, but the ones about love. They are all about males loving other males.

Plus, if we are going to bring religion into this, note just how much of Anne's views of Christianity differ from evangelical Christianity. I grew up in the Baptist church, and I can assure you she would be labelled a heretic for her beliefs. LMM too, despite being a minister's wife, according to her diaries was often questioning---and many times rejecting--many things that Christians hold dear.

And, really, there is no reason for you to cease reading a book just because of a character's sexuality. If anything, if Anne is a lesbian, it should be proof to you that lesbians aren't the evil, deadly, scary people that they are made out to be.

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:11 am

Lucy Montgomery wouldnt approve of this. She was stalkled by a woman who wanted to turn her into lesbin and she didnt like it.

ldshomeschool
Bright Station Arrival

anne

Post by ldshomeschool » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Anyone that would say that about Anne has not read the books. If they had read the books, they obviously have a distorted view of an innocent friendship. Nowhere does it even hint or suggest anything of that nature. These are books that are innocent and pure.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

TrueChristian wrote:Lucy Montgomery wouldnt approve of this. She was stalkled by a woman who wanted to turn her into lesbin and she didnt like it.
But LMM at least tolerated Isobel, which is a lot more than what most people who lived during that time period would've done.
foreverzach.net

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:35 pm

True Christian and Idshomeschool, you can't comment on either the Rich essay or the article that the LMM scholar wrote using Rich's essay unless you have read both. Since you haven't, quit perpetrating myths about what *you think* the authors say and *actually* read what the authors have to say.

I have tried to explain it, but once again you only stated what you wanted it be--what it is NOT. Both articles clearly state that in deed female friendship can be just that, female friendship. However, both authors are well aware of the historic trend of Boston Marriages (which did happen in LMM's day and she seems to be aware of as her novels hint at) and used that trend as a starting point to examine, feminism, lesbianism, female friendship, and how women's roles are constructed by society.

To only focus on the lesbian issue that both Rich and the LMM scholar brings up does a disservice to them both. Since both put a lot of work and scholarship and time into writing their articles. (These authors aren't creating their theories in a vacuum. Their scholarship exists on the backs of many other scholars. Both are well educated and respected as well.)

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 am

Wild roses, no offense but mabe you should listen to the web cast in the link i had in the first message before saying that me and Idshomeschool are wrong. if you listened to the link i gave there talking about a lady names Laura Robinson an english profesor at royal military college in kingston and she does have an paper about anne and diana having lesbian desire for each other not just frendship. thats what Andy Barrie is talking about.

Robinson, Laura M. “Bosom Friends: Lesbian Desire in Montgomery’s Anne Books.” Canadian Literature 180 (2004): 12-28.

and no, im not doing a diservice to her by talking about what she wrote. Elizabeth Waterston is on the webcast disagreement with what she wrote and shes educated and well respected so much that she edited LMMs diaries.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:10 am

Have you the paper though? Or are you only basing your opinion on what the podcast said about the paper? That was the point of my last post, because it sounds to me like you are basing your opinion on what Andy Barrie said and not what Laura Robinson actually says. The point being READ HER PAPER instead of basing your opinion on what Mr. Commentor of the moment says.

The book MAKING AVONLEA has an essay about this controversy and the person who wrote the essay in MA actually read Robinson's paper, read Rich's essay, and says that people like you and Mr. Barrie got it all wrong. The say people like you and Mr. Barrie missed the point of Robinson's essay because all they paid attention to was the word lesbian.

So, yes, I think I can critique you if you are basing your opinions off a commentator instead of actually reading the paper.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:44 pm

Compulsory Heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence ~ Adrienne Rich's essay.

Chapter 2 of Making Avonlea deals a lot with Laura Robinson's essay and the outcry that followed when it was first presented in the summer of 2000 (it was published four years later). Adrienne Rich's essay is also mentioned. (If you don't own the book, you can read some of it online (all of C2 is available).)
foreverzach.net

Jody
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Jody » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:42 pm

Wild Roses wrote: Also, since I got quite a laugh out of the responses in this topic, I might add gay and lesbians have been around for more than a century. Walt Whitman was gay. Read his poetry for proof. Not the patrotic ones, but the ones about love. They are all about males loving other males.

Plus, if we are going to bring religion into this, note just how much of Anne's views of Christianity differ from evangelical Christianity. I grew up in the Baptist church, and I can assure you she would be labelled a heretic for her beliefs. LMM too, despite being a minister's wife, according to her diaries was often questioning---and many times rejecting--many things that Christians hold dear.

And, really, there is no reason for you to cease reading a book just because of a character's sexuality. If anything, if Anne is a lesbian, it should be proof to you that lesbians aren't the evil, deadly, scary people that they are made out to be.
Okay #1 I'm a christian, I go to church occasionally. I'm a presbyterrian to be precise but I grew up in a french catholic school so denomination doesn't really matter to me. Maybe the christians back in her time, but not every christian. I have to say the church i used to go to before I moved accepted me when I'd done un-christianlike things. I have a few lesbian and bi friends and relatives so I don't need proof that lesbians aren't evil. Why say that as if every anne fan who thinks she isn't gay would think that? But honnestly I don't think there is any hidden meaning that Anne is gay in the book the way she talks to Diana is like the way I would talk about my sister.
Everybody's got a passion, what's yours?