Anne was lesbin

Discuss the author's literature and life.
Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:34 pm

I think the "you" in Wild Roses' first post in this topic was more toward those who'd posted before her and their ignorance regarding the existence of queers during LMM's, or even Anne's, time.

As mentioned, queers did exist back then...only it was more taboo back then than it is now.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Jody
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Jody » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:30 pm

okay that's fine then, it's just I felt like it was generalizing "you" instead of some of you.
Everybody's got a passion, what's yours?

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:14 am

Technically, she would be bi not a lesbian (since she was in love with Gilbert), although I think this whole issue is just making eroticism out of sentiment. Why does everything have to be erotic these days?
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

vera
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by vera » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:27 pm

I agree with Gwendolene. I remember a few years ago I had a friend that I was really close with and people started to joke that we were lesbians. We weren't. And it made us both feel awkward. There is such a thing as just being really close with someone of the same sex and not having any sexual attraction to them. I never felt Anne and Diana were lesbians, just two friends who loved eachother very much. Just like me and my friend. Mabe that kind of closeness is rare which is why it confuses people-but I think if they were lesbians we would have been able to see it more clearly in the book.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Re: Anne was lesbin

Post by The Chef » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 am

Well, I think if you look at friendships in the 'days of yesteryear', one fine example would be the close friendship between queen Anne (Stuart, 1665-1714) and the Arch Duchess of Marlborough (1660-1744). Both invented petnames for eachother as children, and they kept using them even after Anne had become queen.

I also don't think Anne was a lesbian. I'm afraid this line of thinking is the same as to suggest that David and Jonathan were homosexuals. They were simply close friends, soulmates.

By the way, when do I lose my blue satin slippers?
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.