L. M. Montgomery suicide revealed

Discuss the author's literature and life.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 am

CBC News, September 22, 2008
The granddaughter of Lucy Maud Montgomery has revealed a long and closely held family secret about how the author of Anne of Green Gables died. In an essay in the Globe and Mail on Saturday, Kate Macdonald Butler said Montgomery committed suicide. She said there was a note, which she's never seen, but she was told it asked for forgiveness. Macdonald Butler said it seemed appropriate to lift the secrecy on the 100th anniversary of the publishing of Montgomery's first and most famous book. She was inspired to reveal the truth because of a series published in the Globe on mental health, and she hoped it would help get rid of the stigma of mental illness. Society has the idea that depression happens to "other people," she wrote, and in particular that it doesn't happen to our "heroes and icons."
Source

~

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 am

I am praying that this is not true ro some mistake. I have been taught that if you commit suicide, you don't go to heaven.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Well, despite being a pastor's wife, LMM didn't believe in Jesus (as her journals and diaries well document), so I doubt she was worried about getting into heaven.

Different sectors of Christianity also say different things about whether suicide prevents you from getting into heaven.
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 am

I was not surprised at the news at all. Nevertheless it is sad news. I have read all 5 of LMM journals and it doesn't surprise me that she committed suicide. She was a very depressed woman, she took a lot of different kinds of medications and she also had no will to live. However I do commend Kate Macdonald Butler to have had the courage to come forward about her grandmother's suicide.

After all the time that has passed since the announcement, it doesn't really matter to me anymore how she died. I have come to realize, its not how she died that mattered. Its how she lived and her works that she left behind that matter the most. Its about all those wonderful books that she left behind for future generation to enjoy that truly matter. LMM was one of Canada's greatest authors that ever lived and I will always have great respect towards her.

felicity18
Last edited by felicity18 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 pm

felicity18 wrote:After all the time that has passed since the announcement, it doesn't really matter to me anymore how she died. I have come to realize, its not how she died that mattered. Its how she lived and her works that she left behind that matter the most. Its about all those wonderful books that she left behind for future generation to enjoy that really matter. LMM was one of Canada's greatest authors that ever lived and I will always have great respect towards her.
Well said. :)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 pm

felicity18 wrote:After all the time that has passed since the announcement, it doesn't really matter to me anymore how she died.
felicity18
Even if it means she might not go to heaven? You just like that you get to read the books. Isn't that selfish?

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:34 pm

It is not selfish of felicity to say that. You shouldn't presume that felicity identifies as a Christian. She might a Mormon, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, etc. Those religions might have something different to say on whether suicide prevents one from getting into "heaven."

What is your bent, TrueChristian? If you are just here to force Christianity on all of us, you'd be better off elsewhere. This is a board to celebrate LMM and Road to Avonlea. You have no right to critique felicity with the words "You just like that you get to read the books." You don't know her. So don't assume you know how she feels about LMM's suicide based on two paragraph.

Don't assume you know how LMM would have voted based on her novels. (Shelly is very, very, very well read on LMM. She also knows a ton about Canadian history and issues. She knows what she is talking about.) And, don't call us selfish just because we choose to celebrate LMM's novels rather than obsess if her suicide prevents her from getting into heaven--because for one thing, we all aren't Christians on this board.
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:02 am

Wild Roses wrote:It is not selfish of felicity to say that. You shouldn't presume that felicity identifies as a Christian. She might a Mormon, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, etc. Those religions might have something different to say on whether suicide prevents one from getting into "heaven."
First of all, thank you very much Wild Roses for saying the things that you said. For the record TrueChristian I am Catholic, but I'm not going to come here and impose my religious beliefs on other peoples on this forum. However, if there is one thing that I don't like, is when people presume certain things about me. You don't know me. So don't assume TrueChristian that I am a selfish person because I am not.
What is your bent, TrueChristian? If you are just here to force Christianity on all of us, you'd be better off elsewhere. This is a board to celebrate LMM and Road to Avonlea. You have no right to critique felicity with the words "You just like that you get to read the books." You don't know her. So don't assume you know how she feels about LMM's suicide based on two paragraph.
Like Wild Roses said, this is a place to celebrate LMM and Road to Avonlea, its not a place to discuss religious beliefs. Again True Christian, don't assume you know how I feel about LMM's suicide. I will always have great respect toward towards LMM. Its not important how LMM died that matters its how she lived. LMM left behind a great legacy and many wonderful books for future generations to enjoy.
Don't assume you know how LMM would have voted based on her novels. (Shelly is very, very, very well read on LMM. She also knows a ton about Canadian history and issues. She knows what she is talking about.) And, don't call us selfish just because we choose to celebrate LMM's novels rather than obsess if her suicide prevents her from getting into heaven--because for one thing, we all aren't Christians on this board.
I choose not obsess about LMM's suicide but to celebrate her life and work. I choose to talk with other fans online and discuss what we love together. I choose to celebrate. Lets talk about all the positive things that she did in her lifetime and how her books have changed our lives. Those are the things that matter the most and are worth talking about on this forum.

Thank you again Wild Roses for all of the things that you said. I really appreciate it.

felicity18

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:19 am

feleiciy18 I did not mean to offend you and im sorry if I asked if you were selfish because I can see that your not, but being a Catholic, aren't you worried about is shes going to heaven?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I havent read the note yet but I read that Dr. Rubio said it wasnt specifically a suicide note. That it was anotehr page from her journal. If this is true then that means there is no absolute proof that she committed suicide. Its just one woman misinterpreting what she read and the media trying to sensationalize this to sell papers/web articles.

So why si everyone believing that this is true when it hasnt been proven?

Im appalled in the article about the suicide revealed where it says Metnal health group applauds announcement. How sick is this for mental health groups to 'applaud' and take advantage ot this situation without knowing for absolute sure that it was suicide.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:17 pm

You are very welcome, felicity18. I'm just waiting for TrueChristian to grow a pair in the Montgomery for McCain topic and quit imposing her political beliefs there. (It's a one-two punch she is trying to push on us: Christianity and conservatism.)

That "one woman" was Montgomery's own relative. TrueChristian, you should be caution about practically defaming a Montgomery heir on a board that celebrates Montgomery's works. It is because of Montgomery's heirs that we know much more about Montgomery's writing. Thanks to them, her journals, letters, uncollected short stories and poems have been published. It also should be mentioned that many relatives in Montgomery's family believe that the letter was a suicide note not just the "one woman."(Using TrueChristian's parlance even though this relative DOES have a name.)

As for your question about the mental health community, True Christian, learn to pay attention to the dates that articles are written:

~"That one woman" reveals LMM committed suicide
~the national media picks up the story
~the mental health community weights in
~Rubio speaks out about her theory

And, if you are going to accuse the media of "sensationalizing" LMM's suicide, you ought to put equal blame on Rubio. Rubio is a well-known LMM scholar and whatever she says gets attention. In fact, it was HER book that is coming out that led to the Montgomery heirs to disclose their history with depression with and suicide. So, Rubio is just as much responsible as it is the general media for any misinformation that may or not be about LMM's death. Were it not for Rubio's book coming out, the heirs would likely had not revealed this in the first place.

As far as the mental health community goes, what is so despicable of them weighing in? They aren't celebrating that LMM committed suicide.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 pm

The decision to reveal LMM's suicide was also brought about due to the fact the Globe and Mail--one of Canada's national newspapers--had done a series on mental health issues earlier this summer (depression being one of them); and Kate MacDonald Butler (aka "the one woman") thought it fitting to disclose this information after reading it, as she believed it would benefit others suffering from depression, and would help increase awareness. (LMM largely suffered in silence. Very often in her journals, she wrote that she was determined not to let anyone know of her suffering.)

Like felicity18, I prefer to remember people as they lived, not for their death. That's not being selfish; to me, it's taking a more optimistic route.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 pm

There is no absolute proof that Montgomery did suicide. Just circumstancial and sensationalism. I wont believe it until someone proves otehrwise.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Well, a saved person always goes to heaven, even after suicide; an unsaved person is disqualified. Suicide has nothing to do with the matter. Certain christians who believe a christian can lose his salvation, do so on the basis of the Greek word for "eternal", saying it does not always mean "everlasting". However, the word "eternal" in the phrase "eternal life", focuses on the nature of the divine LIFE, the very life of God Himself, which a believer has received in his/her spirit - it does not mean "living for ever" in a temporal sense, but it is a description of the character or essence of Gods own indestructable and time-less life. That is why Christ said: "This is eternal life, that they may know Thee." It does not refer to time, because God's nature and life are time-less. A life-relationship through (spiritual) birth remains always. Once a son of God, always a son of God. Once you are born as a child of your parents, you can never undo that fact. You cannot become unborn again. An unbeliever however, doesn't have the needed qualifications for entering heaven, so it doesn't matter if he/she dies naturally or by suicide. Another basis for claiming a believer can lose his salvation is based upon an errenous interpretation of Hebrews chapter 6 (which is about laying afresh the foundation of repentance and conversion - once you have started the race, you do not go back to the finish and start all over again after you fall). You can only be born again once, it is not something that can be repeated. This would be crucifying Christ for a second time (this is the short version of the interpretation).

But about the letter, it is said this letter was supposed to be a part of a novel which she never completed (on an official LMM website).
Wild Roses wrote:Well, despite being a pastor's wife, LMM didn't believe in Jesus (as her journals and diaries well document), so I doubt she was worried about getting into heaven.

Different sectors of Christianity also say different things about whether suicide prevents you from getting into heaven.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.