The Blue Castle

Discuss the author's literature and life.
Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

The Blue Castle

Post by Wild Roses » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, someone had to start a topic on it. :) It's one of LMM's best books and one that deserves more attention. It's one of only two adult books Montgomery wrote (the other being A TANGLED WEB). As such, it is different in tone from the Anne or King children series. More snarky, more witty, and more grown-up in how romance is portrayed.

If you haven't read it, you don't know what you are missing out on! If you have, hopefully you'll want to discuss it!
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

5AvonleaGirls
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by 5AvonleaGirls » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:39 am

My sister has read The Blue Castle and she loves it! I haven't gotten around to reading it yet but everyone I have talked to says it is an amazing book.

~5AvonleaGirls

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm

You don't know what you are missing out on! I don't hesitate to say that Valancy is far a more awesome heroine than any of the heroines in the Anne or King children books.

She's just so funny and snarky and caring.

And...Barney...he's the best!
"We couldn't buy the logic that Jesus was the only way. That meant the Buddhists and Hindus who had never even heard of Christ Almighty were doomed to hell, while Ku Klux Klan members were not." From THE HUNDRED SECRET SENSES by Amy Tan.

Juliegoose
Boarding at Biggins'

Re: The Blue Castle

Post by Juliegoose » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

I have to agree about Blue Castle. It's always the first book I lend out to the uninitiated in the world of Maud. I love that Valancy is able to discover her freedom and become her own person. It's always amazed me how well Maud was able to have us feel for Valancy as a little girl, especially when her dust pile was taken or that terrible minister made her remove her hat. Her outbursts are hysterical, especially at the Anniversary dinner and when she attacks her rosebush. Barney is a adorable and unforgettable, even if the ending is a little contrived (and convenient) for everyone involved. All and all though it is my favorite non series book and well worth the time to read it. (Blue Castle Rocks! :P)