The short stories

Discuss the author's literature and life.
Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

The short stories

Post by Wild Roses » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Since there are several collections of LMM's short stories, I made the title rather general so all can be discussed.

Despite the fact that she is Canadian, my first observation would be that several of LMM's short stories come as rather Southern Gothic. My other is that she exponates some rather disturbing views of "love" in her short stores. At times, I found myself thinking "this is the same author who wrote Anne!"

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Re: The short stories

Post by felicity18 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:37 am

If you read the book of short stories called Among the Shadows you will probably be saying the same thing. However I really enjoyed reading this book. Its full of interesting ghost stories and I highly recommend it.

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

arose28
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by arose28 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:48 pm

I have always enjoyed LM Montgomery's short stories. My favorite one of all is Kilmeny of the Orchard. It is so romantic and sweet and old-fashioned that you hate to see it end. Does anyone know where I can get the other short story volumes? I would like to read some more of her short stories. I have Christmas with Anne and Akin to Anne and The Road to Yesterday. :)
Love Avonlea!

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:57 pm

The Blythes Are Quoted (pretty much an extended Road to Yesterday, to my understanding), is going to be published. In the earlier part of the decade it made the internet rounds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/ju ... ables-book
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 pm

I agree with felicity18, I really like Among the Shadows. It is so different from most of her other works. But I like most of her short stories. Road to Yesterday I was the least taken with. I like Akin to Anne and Along the Shore as well as Chronicles of Avonlea.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 pm

hannikan wrote:I agree with felicity18, I really like Among the Shadows. It is so different from most of her other works. But I like most of her short stories. Road to Yesterday I was the least taken with. I like Akin to Anne and Along the Shore as well as Chronicles of Avonlea.
I also agree. I quite liked Among the Shadows, and it included a chapter for the embezzlement angle in Journey begins too.

Juliegoose
Boarding at Biggins'

Post by Juliegoose » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:55 pm

You can get all of her books through Amazon, for very good prices too. I think that her short stories are excellent and many of the collections have their own highlights. Among the Shadows had it's creepy stories, but it definitely had the Maud atmosphere that she includes in Anne, Emily and the Story Girl. I loved "Each in His Own Tongue" "Their Girl Josie" and "A Commonplace Woman" all stories that have remained with me since I was a child. Many of the short stories are early versions of chapters of her books which make them very interesting to read and compare. They are definitely worth picking up, even if they are a little redundant (and predictable). :P