tale darkens in final book

Discuss the author's literature and life.
PEILady
Boarding at Biggins'

tale darkens in final book

Post by PEILady » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Many Lucy Maud Montgomery fans may be shocked next week when they encounter the dark themes in the final Anne of Green Gables book, but a literary scholar says it's a side of the iconic Canadian author that was always there.

Set for release on Tuesday, The Blythes Are Quoted is Montgomery's last instalment in her series about headstrong orphan Anne Shirley. It was long believed that The Road to Yesterday, published in 1974, was the final volume.

However, after poring through the author's archives at Ontario's University of Guelph, literary scholar Benjamin Lefebvre discovered clues that the tale was incomplete — missing many stories and poems that explored darker topics like death, murder, revenge, misogyny and even Montgomery's opposition to war.

Noting a reference in the author's 1942 obituary to her having dropped off a manuscript on the day of her death — now believed to be a suicide — Lefebvre investigated and discovered the document.

"This was submitted. This is not an incomplete work she left when she died," he told CBC News.

"She did finish it. She wanted it published, and so what is coming out is her final book in the form she wanted it to be published in."
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2009 ... -book.html

This was on our local news tonight. It is very dark, and even warned people of our Island to prepare for such a different side of her. It was given to the Author the day the she passed away.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Re: tale darkens in final book

Post by Wild Roses » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:51 pm

I haven't visited in a few months. Wow, the forum looks completely different! I like! [Although this new layout takes some getting used to.]

I'm very excited TBAQ. Even if it is a darker, moodier book, it's still something new.

I've read the two articles linked on the main board and was surprised that one said LMM retroactively made Anne a writer. Maybe she was instead going full circle--as Anne wrote pieces in AoGG [the Story Club] and AoA. She also wrote stuff in AoI, AotI and even AoWW if I remember correctly. Plus, if I remember my bootlegged TBAQ copy correctly [the illegal copy that was floating around the internet for years and years], Anne isn't a published writer in TBAQ but just sharing poems with the family.

Anyway, I'm so glad it's finally gotten published.