Are Anne fans shooting themselves in the foot?

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Are Anne fans shooting themselves in the foot?

Post by Timothy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 pm

During the January 26th Interact with Kevin' chat at the Avonlea Message Boards, Kevin Sullivan was asked about his thoughts concerning the negative comments toward Anne 3. Here was his response:

Kevin Sullivan: ...I don't care to listen to the negative comments about Anne 3 as I have explained before it's my favourite of the three films and if people don't get it, for the 18th time, that's fine. However, it does make one reconsider going back to recreate Anne's world when everyone complains about it so much.

This indicates that KS may be reluctant to make another Anne movie in light of the seemingly un-ending barrage of Anne3 criticisms.

The question, again, is why would Anne fans want another Sullivan Entertainment (SE) Anne movie, knowing that KS is going to continue to follow the Anne3 storyline path?

And... Why are a barrage of questions continuously asked of Sullivan about the Anne 3 criticism, knowing that it might turn KS away from the possibility of another Anne film?

Anne fans might be doing RTA fans a favor. KS might be more compelled to make an RTA movie instead of another Anne movie because RTA fans tend to be generally more optimistic about the series overall.

And for RTA fans, that would be 8) 8) 8) dude!!!

katie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by katie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:49 pm

haha...you said "dude"

Anyway, I read that Tim and I thought the same thing. They want more but they complain about the last one. I, personally, liked the last one. Maybe because I thought of it as an independent film from the other two. *shrug* But it's like you said, it's paving the road for him to maybe choose RTA over Anne should he ever want to go back to Avonlea.

Personally, if I hear a bad comment about something I've done...repeatedly...I wouldn't want to go back to that either.
~*7/04/04*~

PsiChi Spring '06

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:18 pm

There are a handful of fans that liked Anne 3. Some have said it's their favourite in the trilogy. (Personally, I pretend that any connection to Anne of Green Gables in Anne 3 is all a coincidence. :wink: )

Meanwhile, I think those who loathed Anne 3 still want a fourth Anne so there can be more "proper" closure, with the hopes that there'll be more of what was so fantastic about the first two movies included. Of course, those who liked Anne 3 also want an Anne 4, if only so they can see Anne and Gil with their kids.
Tim wrote: wrote:
Anne fans might be doing RTA fans a favor. KS might be more compelled to make an RTA movie instead of another Anne movie because RTA fans tend to be generally more optimistic about the series overall.

That's an interesting idea; and I think there's some truth to that. There's been virtually nothing but love for RTA. Heck, even though some, if not most, fans weren't all that thrilled about HCMK, they were still happy to see some of their favourite characters again, and hope to see the rest (mainly, of course, Gus, Jasper, Izzy, and more than a few minutes worth of Felix).
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

heartsandflowers
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by heartsandflowers » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:33 am

I love Anne of Green Gables, but I have only seen the series. Have yet to watch the movies. No matter what I hear about them, I will decide for myself when I see them. Although, I think Kevin should consider RTA if he's not busy with Anne or any other projects. Hey, I would say "Kevin, if you want some idea's on more RTA movies or episode, give me a sign!Got plenty of idea's for ya" :D
"Felicity,did I hear you cheering for the other team..."Alec King

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Shelly wrote:That's an interesting idea; and I think there's some truth to that. There's been virtually nothing but love for RTA. Heck, even though some, if not most, fans weren't all that thrilled about HCMK, they were still happy to see some of their favourite characters again, and hope to see the rest (mainly, of course, Gus, Jasper, Izzy, and more than a few minutes worth of Felix).
I agree that, despite it's misgivings, HCMK was a great chance to see many of the characters again (I suppose we can cut Storey some slack, being that he had to change the script around to accomodate the acting changes). Another advantage RTA has is that while a great portion of Anne's life is carefully written about by Montgomery (and closely scrutized by literary critics), RTA's possiblities are limitless; because in the books Anne grows up and the RTA childrens' story ends before they leave the golden road.
heartsandflowers wrote:...Although, I think Kevin should consider RTA if he's not busy with Anne or any other projects.
I'm in full support of that! A great deal of Anne fans believe Sullivan ruined Anne and this could have ruined their chances for another Anne movie, while the opportunity for an RTA reunion smells like roses. Ah, what a lovely fragerance! :D 8)