Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2004)

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2004)

Post by Timothy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:14 am

Has anyone seen the 'Anne: Journey to Green Gables(2004)' production? Just wondering what the thoughts are on this animated film.

It features:

Lally Cadeau as Madame Poubelle

Cedric Smith as Tupper

Kyle Fairlie (Relation to Kristin Fairlie?) as Felix King

Kathryn Greenwood plays Mavis. Is this Mavis Pritchard?

Linda Sorenson as Hetty King (blasphemy!)

Wayne Robson as Matthew Cuthbert

Patricia Hamilton reprised her role as Rachel Lynde (The one and only).

McKenzie Sullivan as Anne Shirley (Is McKenzie Kevin Sullivan's daughter or is there another relation?)

It didn't do so hot with the imdb user rating, with only 1.4 out of 10 (22 votes). I remember seeing an ad with Bailey the squirrel saying "Oh brother!" I'm guessing the squirrel is sort of a sidekick for Anne? I wonder if Montgomery would approve having her most famous character become an acquaintance with a talking squirrel.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:08 pm

I've not seen the film; but I've seen some of the animated series, and I don't think it's anything to write home about.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Georgiana
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Georgiana » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:51 am

I saw an advert for it and I didn't think it looked very good.

sweetheart
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by sweetheart » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:59 am

I never seen this.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:59 am

I haven't seen this, but I also saw a few of the animated episodes. They didn't stick to the story, but I thought that they were cute and a good addition to the Anne world. :)

irishcolleen
Hetty's New School Recruit

Post by irishcolleen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 am

Well, I've seen the trailer for it on the Anne DVDs. Who in the heck is the scary woman who screams "We've got to get her...NOW!"?

I saw one or two of the television series episodes. Wasn't really impressed. to be honest.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:37 am

irishcolleen wrote:Well, I've seen the trailer for it on the Anne DVDs. Who in the heck is the scary woman who screams "We've got to get her...NOW!"?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the scary woman is Madame Poubelle, played by Lally Cadeau.

It's funny that Sullivan Entertainment tried to stay away from the Disney influences during RTA, but have pretty much followed the Disney blueprint in regard to the animated series (e.g. Talking animal sidekick, over dramatic protagonist, etc.) :)

irishcolleen

Post by irishcolleen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am

Timothy wrote:
irishcolleen wrote:Well, I've seen the trailer for it on the Anne DVDs. Who in the heck is the scary woman who screams "We've got to get her...NOW!"?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the scary woman is Madame Poubelle, played by Lally Cadeau.

It's funny that Sullivan Entertainment tried to stay away from the Disney influences during RTA, but have pretty much followed the Disney blueprint in regard to the animated series (e.g. Talking animal sidekick, over dramatic protagonist, etc.) :)
Ah...and who is Madame Poubelle in the context of the story? (I haven't seen the film). I'm guessing that must be her, as, now that you mention it, that does sound like Lally's voice.

irishcolleen

Post by irishcolleen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:55 am

Timothy wrote:

Ah...and who is Madame Poubelle in the context of the story? (I haven't seen the film). I'm guessing that must be her, as, now that you mention it, that does sound like Lally's voice.

AvFan4vr
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by AvFan4vr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 am

This is fun to watch once for a good laugh.

Kyle Fairlie (Relation to Kristin Fairlie?) as Felix King
I think that Kyle is her younger brother. He sounds quite a bit like Kristin.

Kathryn Greenwood plays Mavis. Is this Mavis Pritchard?
She worked at the orphanage. She had a very minor role.

McKenzie Sullivan as Anne Shirley (Is McKenzie Kevin Sullivan's daughter or is there another relation?)
I think it's his daughter, but I'm not certain. I was comparing facial movements of hers and Sullivan's, and the both move their mouths the same way. They get a little twist in their lower lip.

irishcolleen: Ah...and who is Madame Poubelle in the context of the story?
Madame Poubelle runs the orphanage. Anne is in her pretend world and says that she's a princess. Madame doesn't believe her, but at night when Anne is supposed to be in bed, Anne is looking at something (I think it's a mirror), and Tucker sees it and tells Madame Poubelle that Anne has a ruby. I think Anne was pretending that she had an amethyst or something like that. Anyway, the Cuthberts ask for a boy, and Anne is sent instead. Anne wasn't supposed to leave, and Madame Poubelle is furious, so she sends two guys after Anne to kidnap her. It's kind of crazy, but it is amusing to watch.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks AvFan4vr. :) I think you're right about the similiarities between kevin S. and McKenzie S. That's very perceptive.

There's something so absurdly funny about all this and how ridiculous it is that all these characters occupy the same twisted timeline. I think it's also ironic how similiar this is to Disney works (right down to the talking animal side kick), considering the complaints about how Disney negatively influenced the series.

Please... nobody attempt to integrate this into the already impossible RTA/AoGG timeline.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Personally, I don't think I could if I tried! :lol:
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Timothy wrote:Thanks AvFan4vr. :)
There's something so absurdly funny about all this and how ridiculous it is that all these characters occupy the same twisted timeline. I think it's also ironic how similiar this is to Disney works (right down to the talking animal side kick), considering the complaints about how Disney negatively influenced the series.
I have to agree, Timothy. When I started to get the Sullivan newsletter in my email I found out about the cartoon... I recoiled in horror... once I recovered from my recoiling I thought "How Disney is that?!" I wonder if Sullivan went down this road because his daughters liked the idea (or he thought they would).
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:56 am

hannikan wrote:
Timothy wrote:Thanks AvFan4vr. :)
I have to agree, Timothy. When I started to get the Sullivan newsletter in my email I found out about the cartoon... I recoiled in horror... once I recovered from my recoiling I thought "How Disney is that?!" I wonder if Sullivan went down this road because his daughters liked the idea (or he thought they would).
You could be right hannikan. :) He's also trying to reach a larger market. It's interesting though... All those struggles against the Disney channel to protect the integrity of his vision with RTA, and yet he makes something completely Disney with this cartoon.