Anne #4

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
jam416
Pat's Meow

Anne #4

Post by jam416 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:38 am

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone saw the premiere of Anne #4? I didn't but I was wondering what anyone thought of it. I did see the trailer but obviously that is not very informative. :) When will it be released on dvd? Thanks!
I LOVE when Gus plays his fiddle!

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:04 pm

I think it's on DVD now, actually.

I've not seen it yet. I'm waiting for it to air Stateside first. When that will be is, pretty much, anyone's guess.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Sierradane
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Sierradane » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

Anne #4? Is that the one with Barbara Hershey as Anne?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm

It is.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Re: Anne #4

Post by felicity18 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:17 am

Here is my review of the Anne4 movie.

I really did enjoy this movie. Although the thing that disapointed me the most were missing Megan and Jonathan. It definitley wasn't the same without them in Anne4. However what really brought it home for me, so to speak, was the music. I had this strange sense of coming home; it was really weird. One of my favorite scenes from the movie was the flashblack sequence. The one that impressed me the most was the flashback with Marilla, when Nelly comes to see her. I have to say that Anne 4 was a very well made movie. I didn't like it as much as Anne 3 but it was still a great movie. I have watched Anne 4 twice now and I don't know why but I start bawling at the end both times. The movie really touched my heart.

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun May 02, 2010 11:36 am

I just watched it for the first time yesterday. I won a copy at AvCon last summer and couldn't bring myself to watch it until now. I think in some ways my feelings about it are similar to Anne 3, the latter half of the movie drags and gets too complicated. It's even more confusing and has a more unsettling ending (the young Anne's ending I should say) than Anne 3. That is more expected because of the fact that we know Anne's life before Green Gables was bad. But it is mostly the plot that is a problem. I was willing to go on Sullivan's journey through blending the character of Anne with LMM's real life. That was an interesting idea since I agree that Anne (and all of LMM's main characters) are alter egos for herself. There is an effort to use some aspects of Anne's pre-GG life mentioned in the books. Even though there were a few strange scenes early on, I was with him through about 1/2-2/3 of the movie. Then things fell apart. I don't want to give things away because most ppl haven't seen it yet. But suffice it to say, it wasn't clear what happened or who was to blame and even Anne looked two faced by the end. There were a few characters who almost seemed unnecessary, too. There were things I liked about it. I thought Hannah Endicott-Douglas did a marvelous job as young Anne. She blended Megan's interpretation of Anne with a younger take. It was beautifully shot and feels visually more like the original films than Anne 3. It's not stark and drab the way the war scenes of Anne 3 are. Well, a couple of scenes are but for the most part it isn't. Anne returns to many familiar Avonlea haunts. I liked seeing Anne's children (Rilla in particular) and Diana's daughter was a very likable character. I actually liked Barbara Hershey's older Anne for the most part. She's really not in it that much, her part is sort of the picture frame around the movie, which is filled in by Anne's young life. I like imagining what Anne would wear in later periods, esp the 40's for some reason. Maybe because that was the end of LMM's life. And the real ending of the movie, closure for older Anne is touching. I guess I would call it a mixed bag.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon May 03, 2010 9:30 am

Nice review. I'm not a big fan of Sullivan's efforts to parallel Montgomery's life with Anne's life (or Hetty's for that matter). I'll have to watch Anne 4 once I get a chance. I just hope the story is as good as in Legend of the Lost Tomb. :lol: