DVD Quality for Season 1

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
AC
Bright Station Arrival

DVD Quality for Season 1

Post by AC » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi,
We just love Road to Avonlea. We watch it every night on TV. We decided to collect the series and bought season 1. Well, the quality of the DVD was not the best when viewed on an HDTV. Are the other recordings for the remaining seasons of the same quality?

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:46 am

Sullivan, tragically, won't restore his material for the HD age.

Seasons 6 and 7 though might look decent since they weren't filmed on analog stock. (Seasons 1-5 were.) I'm not sure how much difference in quality the different stock types might though since the series hasn't been restored by Sullivan.

AC
Bright Station Arrival

Post by AC » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 pm

That is a shame. I really hope this may change in the future. I am not sure if I will purchase another series due to this. It is a great show though!

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:49 pm

Eventually, RTA (and the Anne films) will be made available on Blu-Ray. Whether or not there'll be any restoration done is unknown. (Though, personally, I doubt it.) It was mentioned in a live chat last month.

http://www.anneofgreengables.com/livechat/
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 pm

It sounded to me like Anne 2 would have to be restored. IDK about the rest but if the quality is improved in the long run I think that's great. It sounded like he wanted to have both Anne and RTA finished by the end of the year. That may not happen but maybe they will have RTA done since this is the 20th anniversary of the beginning of the series.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:15 am

There would really be no point in enhancing grainy images in HD without cleaning up the content. Thanks for the link. Hopefully, the restoration process Sullivan mentions includes improving the film quality. Here's a transcript from that section:

Kevin Sullivan:
One good thing about Road to Avonlea though is that we just begun restoration of it, working with the original negative, and restoring it all in HD... And actually just before this interview I was just looking at some of the original film that has been now completely restored in HD and it's in a word breathtaking. The problem with Road to Avonlea is that for such a long period of time the early seasons were analog and, in other words they had been film that was transfered to analog tape in the late 80s early 90s and that look became superceded by so many other digital technologies that overtook analog, even as we were creating the show so later seasons of Avonlea were very different than the early seasons. But... We'll be releasing the HD version of Road to Avonlea with NHK in Japan and then we will be having a resell release of Avonlea on blue-Ray very soon, and hopefully in 2009... But for those of you who are really interested in the show you would be overwhelmed with how beautiful it looks.

~