Sullivan May Call it quits on AoGG

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Sullivan May Call it quits on AoGG

Post by Timothy » Fri May 08, 2009 10:45 am

In today's Edmonton Sun, it was implied that Kevin Sullivan may not make another Anne of Green Gables film:

Beginning is the end for Anne: Director
By Bruce Kirkland, Fri, May 8, 2009

This is it for the Anne of Green Gables saga on screen. Canadian filmmaker Kevin Sullivan, who has guided the franchise for a quarter century, believes that Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning is the last chapter. "Oh, God, I don't know!" Sullivan tells Sun Media when asked what he could do next to continue the story, which he launched in 1985. That mini-series starred Megan Follows as the fiery, red-haired orphan who takes P.E.I. by storm. "I don't have anything!" ..."Maybe Hannah would love to play Anne again -- and she would be terrific," Sullivan offers. "But I feel I've told the story. You know what? It's a nice breadbasket of films and television to put together and I'm very happy with it."
Source

Is anyone upset by this news? Do you think Kevin Sullivan should make another Anne of Green Gables film? Or do you think that he should stop now and leave behind the legacy he created?

~

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Fri May 08, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm not upset. I think it's the best decision KS could make. While Annes 1 and 2 are nearly flawless miniseries adaptions, Annes 3 and 4 wreck the characters and the continuity. Both critics and fans have bashed him for what he did to LMM's characters--and maybe the message has started to sink in, that he let his ego go too far and that's he's not forgiven for what he did to the characters. Arguably, he could make a defense that we didn't understand his POV with Anne 3, because some of the fanbase and some critics liked it. However, Anne 4 got pummelled by everybody. So, he has no defense that we don't get his vision.

However, I don't get the sense from his answer that he's opposed to do anything LMM related--only Anne. He might still be open to doing something Avonlea-related. If anything, by not pursuing making more Anne, it frees him up to make something Avonlea related. And, we've been begging him for years to make another RTA reunion film and if he wants to get in the good graces of the Anne/Avonlea community, this might be the chance to redeem himself. (He's enough of a greedy capitalist to at least be aware that he needs to something to keep the fanbase he still has.)

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm not upset at all either about the news and I disagree that KS should make another Anne film. I think that he should stop now and leave behind the legacy that he created. All good things must come to an end and this is one of them. Anne's story is complete.

I love all 4 Anne movies. The third Anne film has been so misunderstood and critized so negatively. I really enjoyed this film immensely. As for Anne 4, I have to say what disapointed me the most, was not having Megan Follows playing older Anne and missing Jonathan Crombie as Gilbert. However, I did enjoy the movie, especially the flasback scenes. My favorite flasback scene was the one with Nelly and Marilla. The music was what really brought it home for me. I'm sorry if some of you don't agree with me about Anne 3 and Anne 4, its just my opinion.

I just hope that someday soon, in the near future, Kevin Sullivan will FINALLY make that Road to Avonlea Reunion movie that we've all been begging him to do. Only time will tell and lets just hope that he doesn't wait too long to do it.

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 pm

I would be much more interested in a RTA movie than another Anne movie from KS.
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat May 09, 2009 6:06 pm

Am I upset? No.

Do I think he should make another Anne film? No.

To be honest, I think he should've either: 1) stopped with the third one (and made it sooner than he did, and gone with his original concept of basing it on Rilla of Ingleside--which would've translated very well to screen, I think); or 2) followed up the third one with a film centred around Anne, Gil, and their children that was more consistent with the books.

The first two Anne miniseries were brilliant. On the other hand, Anne 3 was a three-hour-long continuity error (IMO), not to mention I thought Anne was acting quite a bit out of character. (I still say the main storyline regarding Anne going off to look for Gil would've been more suited to Felix and Izzy.) I can't say anything definitive regarding the fourth one as I've not seen it yet; but given what other fans have said, it sounds like a big piece of epic fail.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

HistoryMiner
Planted Magic Seeds

Re: Sullivan May Call it quits on AoGG

Post by HistoryMiner » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:40 pm

He has said this before, so I anticipate Anne 5 in 2020 when we find out Anne actually came from another galaxy.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:25 pm

According to Sullivan's twitter they are doing an HD version of the 1st Anne miniseries like they have done with the 1st 2 seasons of RTA...

"Kevin Sullivan at this moment is doing an HD transfer for Anne 1 (The original film)!!! Do you know what that means?"
(http://twitter.com/anneofgreengabl)
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:40 pm

HistoryMiner wrote:He has said this before, so I anticipate Anne 5 in 2020 when we find out Anne actually came from another galaxy.
LOL! :lol:
hannikan wrote:According to Sullivan's twitter they are doing an HD version of the 1st Anne miniseries like they have done with the 1st 2 seasons of RTA...
Mmmm...interesting. Maybe for a 25th anniversary re-release later in the year?
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Greeeeaaaaat... Well, at least I haven't bought the second AoGG set yet. Perhaps it's best to hold out for the third. Or the fourth... or the fifth... :roll:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:17 pm

HistoryMiner wrote:He has said this before, so I anticipate Anne 5 in 2020 when we find out Anne actually came from another galaxy.
:lol: I was hoping for Anne 5 in 2012, because the Mayans warned us.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:35 pm

:lol: :lol: HM and Timothy, too funny. Grandma Anne visits Mars as predicted by ancient Mexicans.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:52 pm

hannikan wrote::lol: :lol: HM and Timothy, too funny. Grandma Anne visits Mars as predicted by ancient Mexicans.
:lol:

A 1988 Toronto Star article stated the following:

Lantern Hill "probably" will be Sullivan's last Lucy Maud Montgomery adaptation. He is moving on.

With the exceptions of Road to Avonlea, Happy Christmas, Miss King , Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series, Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story, and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning, and a website with tons of merchandise with Anne's logo, I would say he's moved on. :wink:

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:13 am

Timothy wrote:
hannikan wrote::lol: :lol: HM and Timothy, too funny. Grandma Anne visits Mars as predicted by ancient Mexicans.
:lol:

A 1988 Toronto Star article stated the following:

Lantern Hill "probably" will be Sullivan's last Lucy Maud Montgomery adaptation. He is moving on.

With the exceptions of Road to Avonlea, Happy Christmas, Miss King , Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series, Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story, and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning, and a website with tons of merchandise with Anne's logo, I would say he's moved on. :wink:
LOL Thats funny!! :lol:

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, technically Lantern Hill was his last adaptation of a Montgomery writing, right? RTA never technically adapted any of her writing because things were always somewhat to largely tweaked. Characters were changed/substituted even when the plots were the same. Anne 3 was not an adaptation nor was Anne 4. But yes he continued to work heavily with the character of Anne.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Considering the definition of film adaptation as the transfer of a written work to a feature film, I would consider RTA to be an adaptation of Montgomery works. The degree and faithfullness of the adaptation is a matter of debate.