Anne Inc.

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Anne Inc.

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:00 am

For some time, the Sullivan Boutique has been saturated with ever increasing products related to Anne of Green Gables. This includes everything from

AoGG 25th Anniversary Coins
Marilla's Jewelry (Not so sure if the modest Marilla would wear some of these things)
Animated Anne back to School package
Anne Shirley -- Avonlea Fragerance perfume
Avonlea 3 IN 1 Lavender Body Gel
Avonlea - Aloe Jojoba Creme with Lavender
Various Anne dolls, toys, etc.

My question to Anne fans is this. Do you think the Boutique has gone overboard in their marketing of everything Anne?

Do you like seeing Anne on a bottle of Body Gel?

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Re: Anne Inc.

Post by hannikan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Yeah I think it has gone overboard. The Anne Shirley perfume cracks me up. I wonder what Megan would think of all of it, too. The Anne dolls I understand and think are cute for children.
ImageImageImageImage

felicity18
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by felicity18 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:11 am

hannikan wrote:Yeah I think it has gone overboard. The Anne Shirley perfume cracks me up. I wonder what Megan would think of all of it, too. The Anne dolls I understand and think are cute for children.
I agree with you that its gone overboard. The Anne Shirley perfume cracked me up too! I couldn't believe that they actually came out with a perfume.

felicity18
"Courage Gus Pike. Take your strength from those who love you. We'll survive all this. I promise you." Hetty King to Gus Pike

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 pm

It is a bit overkill. But then, Anne has been a marketing ploy, or "cash cow", for many a company (including Sullivan Ent.) for at least the last 25 years. If you visit PEI, Anne's likeness is attached to a lot of things.

Still, it doesn't mean I like it.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah, there is a lot of Anne marketing on PEI. She is there big seller of stuff for tourists. Having just been there I was amused by some of it. It actually didn't bother me as much that there is this stuff but how ugly some of it was. I don't like Anne to look ugly.
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:04 pm

The Sullivan Boutique lost me when they originally released Anne of Green Gables on DVD and then a few months later a second version with all sorts of "special features." Rather than quantity, I wish they would focus on quality. That RTA plate was just hideous.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:33 pm

hannikan wrote:...I don't like Anne to look ugly.
How about if she is furry with flappy ears? If you thought you have seen everything in terms of shameless Anne marketing, then you have missed the new product!

Anne Of Green Gables Dog Costume

Here is the description:

The Anne Of Green Gables Dog Costume is sure to be a hit with your favourite furry companion.

This comfortable, lightweight dog costume is styled after the outfit Anne wore as she was waiting for Matthew at the Train Station in the original Anne Of Green Gables film. Made from a cotton blend, the dress is easy to put on and take off with a front closure.

This absolutely adorable Anne Of Green Gables Dog Costume also comes with Anne's recognizable straw hat with red braids. The hat has a comfortable fabricated elastic strap to keep it securely on your dog's head.

Also included is a small version of Anne's carpet bag - sewn on to the dress as added detail.

Available in dog sizes Extra Small, Small and Medium. Made in Canada.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Ha, yeah I did see that! I almost posted about it, too. Definitely silly especially since they rolled it out at the same time they did the first human costume ever. You would think that would have been one of the first things that they'd have marketed. I would have loved to wear (heck I would still love to wear) costumes from the Anne movies. I am not one who thinks dressing up animals is cute but I know some people do.
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Anyone else think it was funny that they sent us a picture of the dog costume before the human one? :lol:

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:28 am

StoryJan wrote:Anyone else think it was funny that they sent us a picture of the dog costume before the human one? :lol:
yeah, and now it's only 49.99.

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:17 pm

The dog costume totally cracks me up. That gives cheesiness a whole new meaning.

I'm in deep denial that KS is that far off the deep end. 25 anniversary coins and plates? Marilla fashion items? I guess I'll be taking a tour of KS site soon to see the all cough goodies cough I missed a few months back.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Yeah, I have thought the same thing WR. I do like some of the new things though. The music boxes they just rolled out are nice. I think they should have more costumes for people. Hopefully matching Marilla and Rachel Lynde cat costumes are not next on the list. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:04 pm

For $50, I would expect that Halloween costume to come with it's own music and lights show! Having grown up in the era of Halloween costumes like these, I can appreciate the fine detailing of the Anne costume... even if I can't quite appreciate the price. Several years ago I dressed up as Anne for Halloween and spent the entire night trying to explain Anne of Green Gables to people who had never heard of Avonlea. Luckily, I've never had that problem here :D

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 am

Ha! I forgot about Joanie and Chachi. I didn't know it at the time the RTA episode aired, but Frances Bay (Winifred Ward in 'After the Ball Is Over') played Fonzie's granny on Happy Days. Small world I guess.

I was wondering what the Boutique would package with the re-mastered season one DVD. Would it be a script from the series that was promised with the sixth season release? Would it be an autographed cast photo?

Well I was surprised to find out that the first season comes with... 'Crunchy Bean Mix.' But don't plan on eating it right when you get season one. You actually have to grow it from sprouts and wait 3-6 days. It doesn't even have Anne on the front package eating it. I guess I just wasn't expecing that.

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

Shh! Don't you know? They're "magic seeds." :D If you order the DVDs, be sure to eat your "crunchy beans" in a graveyard after midnight. You may get your wish. Speaking of the Sullivan Boutique, did you happen to see the gifts for grandmas and grandpas on the Gifts page? I think I may have to save up my money for this one.

You know, I'm not surprised in the least that you managed to find a connection between RTA and Happy Days. We need to challenge you with something harder... :lol: