Season 1 and 2 remastered

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Season 1 and 2 remastered

Post by The Chef » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Can't I find it on the site, or did no one notice that Sullivan has digitally remastered season 1 and 2 of RTA? It has been remastered for widescreen TV, the dust and scratches are removed, and has closed captions. I ordered my copies right away. It's not even available on amazon, I looked for it. Only at Sullivan's General Store.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

Josh
Bright Station Arrival

Re: Season 1 and 2 remastered

Post by Josh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:46 am

Have you received your new sets yet? I ordered all of my DVD sets from the Sullivan Boutique upon their original release (for no less than an arm and a leg!)–and although I was glad to have the show on DVD, the packaging and the video quality is really unacceptable–especially when you consider the price. Could you share a bit about the new HD sets you purchased? I'm on the fence as to whether I need to start collecting again. Thanks!

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Try this thread on for size...
http://www.anneofgreengables.com/board/ ... pic=5483.0

Scroll down a bit and you'll see two screenshots -- a "before" and "after".

Personally, I've not bought the new sets yet, but I very much intend to.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I bought both sets. I was originally only going to buy Season 2 (it's my favorite, and I already own the other DVD sets), but I took advantage of the buy-one-get-one-free offer back in Nov. Because I have been swamped with schoolwork, I only watched them briefly. Like Shelly's thread noted, the HD set isn't really HD, but it has been remastered. The picture quality is much, much better (watching the first DVD release was like watching Avonlea through a screen porch). Has anyone had a chance to examine the episodes for the deleted Disney scenes? For some reason, I thought some of the Sullivan episodes from the first DVD release were trimmed...?

Josh
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Josh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:04 am

Shelly & Jan, thanks for all the great info! This helps a lot! :D

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Josh wrote:Have you received your new sets yet? I ordered all of my DVD sets from the Sullivan Boutique upon their original release (for no less than an arm and a leg!)–and although I was glad to have the show on DVD, the packaging and the video quality is really unacceptable–especially when you consider the price. Could you share a bit about the new HD sets you purchased? I'm on the fence as to whether I need to start collecting again. Thanks!
I only got 1 DVD yet, it said the set had one wrong DVD in it and they sent the right one. But I only got the one DVD yet, not the actual sets. Shipping is still pending.

The one DVD though has a different menu wallpaper, and starts differently. What I did notice though, that I had to change my wide screen TV to a ratio of 16:19 or auto, because if I don't and just let it play in the 'correct' setting option, the faces are squeezed and narrow.

But if you get it right, the picture quality is better. But maybe its just me, I sometimes like the more grainy ones, not the real bad ones, but the somewhat grainy ones, because they feel more authentic. Perhaps it's 'just me'.

What I also did not like was that the DVD surface was smudgy, not bright and clean. Perhaps its only this one DVD'and not the whole set.

What I also have to say about HD TV (though these sets are not HD), sometimes it is as if the picture is more 'real' then in real life, if you get my drift. It's a strange sensation.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:03 pm

I now have the two series I ordered. Quality is much better, and it even has some extra's that aren't on any of the other dvd's.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 pm

I asked Sullivan if the other seasons were also going to be remastered. They said there was no news about that at the moment, and that I should get back to them about that later on.

But it was not a clear 'no', so perhaps the other series will get an overhaul too.
Last edited by The Chef on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 am

I've got a couple of quick questions...

I don't think season 1 had opening titles, but were the opening titles restored to the season 2 set? I know that on most of the episodes in the original DVD release they had cut the opening titles off most of the episodes.

Are the discs in the remastered versions one-sided or two-sided? One thing I didn't like about the original DVD release is that there were two episodes on each side of the disc. I always seemed to have the disc on the wrong side for the episode I wanted. I know each side was labeled "side 1" and "side 2", but on some of the discs they were not labeled properly.

Thanks in advance for the answers! I hope you're enjoying your remastered sets! :D

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the updates Piére and Jan.

I have been avoiding this discussion because (1) I don't have these HD gems and (2) I am still irked that Sullivian didn't digitally clean up the series back when he originally released the series on DVD... As he should have! Instead, releasing old grainly VHS quality! :twisted: Sorry, just venting.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 pm

weatherman15 wrote:I don't think season 1 had opening titles, but were the opening titles restored to the season 2 set? I know that on most of the episodes in the original DVD release they had cut the opening titles off most of the episodes.
Season 1 in particular, on the original DVDs, didn't have opening titles because "The Journey Begins" didn't have the traditional opening titles (also true for one or two other episodes).

Seasons 2 onward had the titles for just the first episodes.

I don't own the re-releases (yet), so can't comment on much more.
foreverzach.net

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Don't feel bad about venting. The same thing happened to me when Anne of Green Gables was originally released on DVD. I rushed out to buy my copy right away only to have a better version loaded with extras released a few months later.:roll: I have still haven't bought the newer version of Anne, but I am ashamed to admit that I own three different versions of RTA Season 1 :oops: This week I finally had a chance to sit down and watch the "HD" DVDs, and I can finally compare all three versions.

Disney's Tales From Avonlea
Disney released their full screen version of Season 1 entitled "Tales from Avonlea." The packaging is beautiful, but it wouldn't be a RTA dvd set without some peculiarities. On the front cover, there is a small picture of Olivia with the King cousins minus Andrew running through a golden field. Everyone looks so happy... except Felicity whose dress hem is practically under her chin http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XGBD8ZPVL.jpg. Inside the large box are three smaller dvd cases; each case has its own lovely cover on the front and clearly labeled episodes, descriptions, and pictures on the back. While some of the pictures are innocently mixed up (Proof and the Pudding and Conversions), others simply don't go together at all (Nothing Endures But Change and a... Season 3/4 cast photo?) Disney markets this set as "The Complete First Season," but when I compared the running times with the Sullivan sets, they were noticeably shorter, and none were longer than 44 minutes. I didn't spend time trying to figure out which scenes were cut from the Disney series, but episodes such as Journey Begins (56:51) and Witch of Avonlea (51:50) are clearly missing scenes. Each episode begins with the opening credits and finishes with the closing credits. The opening credits use the original Season 1 Avonlea theme song, which is a slightly different arrangement than the Season 2 theme song on the John Welsman cd. On the Disney Channel, the episodes featuring Marilla began with different opening music, the theme from Anne of Green Gables rather than the usual RTA theme, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Disney included the Anne opening on this set. However, on Duncan McTavish episode is labeled "Secrets and True Love." :roll: As many of you know, some of the Disney episodes and the CBC episodes have different titles. On the Disney set, they use the Disney titles but they add an "aka" afterwards and include the CBC title, too. I don't know why, but I found that a little funny. No extras have been included on this DVD set.

Sullivan Entertainment's Original Season 1 DVD Release ("Green Back")
I won't spend a lot of time on this one since this is the one most of us probably have. Each episode is full-screen with no opening credits. Anyone else notice the "Materializing of Duncan McTavish" was also labeled as "Secrets and True Love," the same mistake on the Disney set?

Sullivan Entertainment's "HD" Season 1 DVD Release
The picture quality alone is a vast improvement over the first DVD release, but upon closer inspection, the "Wide Screen" edition is a cropped version of the original. Portions of the top and bottom of the picture have been removed to give RTA the appearance of widescreen. So in essence, we are actually losing a piece of Avonlea rather than gaining anything extra or previously unseen. The opening and closing credits are included for all episodes except "Journey Begins," which never had opening credits. I did find it somewhat interesting that Sullivan used the newer Avonlea logo on "Journey Begins" rather than the original logo that was used on VHS releases. The original Season 1 opening credits theme is unchanged. The title for the Duncan McTavish episode has been corrected, but it does not open with the Anne theme song as it does on the Disney set. "Malcom and the Baby" actually plays before "Aunt Abigail's Beau" on my disc. The extras are all new pieces that were not included on the original DVD set. I'm sure they are probably available on Youtube.

Season 2
I haven't had a chance to sit down with Season 2 and examine it with the same detail as Season 1 just yet. The HD version has all of the opening and closing credits for each episode I have watched so far, which have been random episodes on each disc. I bought this set when it first came out, and after about a month, Sullivan sent me a replacement disk in the mail with the explanation that one of the discs in my set was actually a disc from Season 1. I was glad they corrected the mistake on their own. I wouldn't have known about it until months later. If you buy this set, please be sure to check your Season 2 Disc 3 (this is the Captain Crane disc). The extras on the HD set are also different than the ones on the original set. I'm sure they are probably available on Youtube, but if not, I'll be happy to describe them to everyone.

I have so many happy memories attached to the series, that for me, the HD set was worth the price I paid for them. Yes, I'm a little angry that Sullivan didn't originally clean up the series from the beginning and that I purchased the set twice... well... actually three times... but I am happy to finally have complete episodes with complete opening and closing credits.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 pm

The discs are-one sided, so no turning discs again.

Actually, it is not HD, it is simple a cleaned up version, but the quality is much better. The remastered discs are not HD because it was never recorded in HD (you can't make a ferrari out of a volkswagen so to speak).
Last edited by The Chef on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks so much for the replies to my questions! Now I feel much more comfortable when I get set to purchase the latest DVD release! :D

Plus, the comparison of the three season 1 sets was very helpful! :D

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:25 pm

StoryJan wrote:However, on Duncan McTavish episode is labeled "Secrets and True Love." :roll:

Sullivan Entertainment's Original Season 1 DVD Release ("Green Back")
Anyone else notice the "Materializing of Duncan McTavish" was also labeled as "Secrets and True Love," the same mistake on the Disney set?
Wasn't "The Materialising of Duncan" paired with "Of Corsets..." for VHS release? If so, that would explain the title.
foreverzach.net