Season 1 and 2 remastered

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: Season 1 and 2 remastered

Post by Timothy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Excellent review Jan. Well done. I'm glad that you like the new discs. I might consider getting these DVD's to watch while I eat those delicious sprouts.
StoryJan wrote:On the front cover, there is a small picture of Olivia with the King cousins minus Andrew running through a golden field. Everyone looks so happy... except Felicity whose dress hem is practically under her chin http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XGBD8ZPVL.jpg. .
Maybe that was from the episode 'Knickers, Secrets and True Love.' Seriously though, Disney didn't want smoking, but they allowed flashing?

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Well, enjoy your sprouts because I'll be "green" with envy :P Of course, if you wait just a little longer, you may get an RTA plate of your very own thrown into the mix.

Shelly, I think you're right. The Sully VHS tape was called Secrets and True Love. I guess I can understand Disney making the mistake, but I tend to hold Sullivan Ent. to a slightly higher standard. My biggest surprise with the Disney DVD set was how much it was edited. When the episodes aired on the Disney Channel, for the most, part they were complete (Disney didn't have to worry about commercial breaks), and I am 100% certain my Disney taped copy of "Journey Begins" was longer than 45 minutes.

Of all the Avonlea characters with the potential to flash someone, Felicity would be at the bottom of the list... Sounds more like Hannah Hubble to me :lol:

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:58 pm

StoryJan wrote:Well, enjoy your sprouts because I'll be "green" with envy :P Of course, if you wait just a little longer, you may get an RTA plate of your very own thrown into the mix.

Shelly, I think you're right. The Sully VHS tape was called Secrets and True Love. I guess I can understand Disney making the mistake, but I tend to hold Sullivan Ent. to a slightly higher standard. My biggest surprise with the Disney DVD set was how much it was edited. When the episodes aired on the Disney Channel, for the most, part they were complete (Disney didn't have to worry about commercial breaks), and I am 100% certain my Disney taped copy of "Journey Begins" was longer than 45 minutes.
Yep this is why I always am confused about ppl saying Disney's episodes were chopped up. I don't think they were when they originally aired on the Disney Channel.
StoryJan wrote: Of all the Avonlea characters with the potential to flash someone, Felicity would be at the bottom of the list... Sounds more like Hannah Hubble to me :lol:
Hannah was a "friendly" girl... the flasher from Moncton. :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:02 pm

When Disney aired the eps, they were complete. I'm pretty sure of this because I remember when I joined Avonlea Village in 1999, there were members describing scenes in the Disney-aired episodes that weren't shown on CBC, as they had to edit episodes (mainly one in the first two seasons) for commercials.

My CBC-aired version of "The Journey Begins" is around 45 minutes or so, minus commercials.

When Disney released their version of S1, I was surprised when fans who bought the set mentioned episodes were chopped up, because their as-aired versions were much more complete than CBC's.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 pm

That makes sense because the Disney Channel didn't have commercials. My JB is right around 60 mins. Also I think on Disney they showed the intro before each episode.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:43 pm

I used to watch the series on CBC and The Disney Channel, and I remember Disney cutting parts and scenes from the series. They cut parts like when Rachel slapped Hetty in the General Store in 'Malcolm and the Baby' and when Alec and Janet were in bed sharing pillow talk in 'Aunt Janet Rebels.' The Disney censors felt that some Avonlea content would not be appropriate for viewers.

One thing about CBC is that when they started showing re-runs of the series, they started cutting more and more from each episode (especially since their revenue kept getting cut and they needed to add more commercials). A great thing about CBC was that they had one of the actors (in character) introduce the episodes each week. For instance, Felix would be riding on the back of the buggy during winter and setting up the plot. These were exclusive to CBC but I wish they would release them as a special feature on one of the DVD sets.

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 am

My Disney DVDs are most definitely chopped up. Even the music cues stop mid note, pause and then go into a different theme entirely. It's very distracting...
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar

Dryadsong
Bright Station Arrival

Post by Dryadsong » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:50 am

Hi all! I created an account just to post this update because I figured you would want to know. I emailed Sullivan Boutique thusly:
Hi there - I wanted to know if there is any timeline for remastering seasons 3-7 of Road to Avonlea. I know there is a huge customer base out there that would want them, and I'm part of it. Are there plans to continue with the rest of the seasons?
and their reply:
Hi there,
We are in the process of doing the remaining at the moment. They will be available by the end of this year.
Thanks,
The Sullivan Boutique Team
w00t!

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Finally.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 am

That's great news! Here's one to file away in the "Did you ever notice?" category: I was recently rewatching "Aunt Abigail's Beau" on the remastered discs, and in the scene where Malcom is leaving Avonlea, the coach is labeled "Dunsmore Livery Stable." Rosemary Dunsmore, of course, played Aunt Abigail. It made me wonder how many other fun details like this are waiting to be discovered.

funnyguylaughs
Bright Station Arrival

Post by funnyguylaughs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Quick question. I haven't ordered anything yet from Sullivan. I only have one question before I buy. Does each episode have the opening credits that originally aired with the episodes? I know when Sullivan originally released the DVDs there wasn't any opening credits. Now that they have remastered the episodes I am just wondering if they fixed this little problem. Hearing the theme song gets you in the mood for what's coming up in the episode. It's essential. :D

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

I don't know about the remastered but the regular DVDs have the opening credits on the first disc of each season. I did notice the Dunsmore advertisement on the coach in Aunt Abigail's Beau. I watch that one quite a bit though.
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 am

Yes, on the remastered discs, the opening credits are present before every episode. Even though I own the first set of DVDs, I was watching RTA on an old television/computer until recently, so the detail in "Aunt Abigail's Beau" was new to me. I've really enjoyed being able to read some of the store signs and even some of the newspapers.

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm

After moving across the country and starting a new job, I'm finally back to the boards! :D

I'll have to watch "Aunt Abigail's Beau" again for that! I just purchased the season 1 remastered set and so far am very pleased with it!

It certainly is good news that we can expect the rest of the remastered seasons by the end of the year!

weatherman15
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by weatherman15 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:59 am

There's finally a release date for Season 3! Here's the response to my inquiry from Sullivan Entertainment...
Thank you for contacting us. Yes, the following seasons are set to be released in the new digitally remastered format. Season 3 is due out Nov 9, with Season 4 and the subsequent seasons following some time after next year. Hope that helps.