Wasn't Anne supposed to re-released in hi-def?

Discuss Sullivan films, media and projects.
Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Wasn't Anne supposed to re-released in hi-def?

Post by Wild Roses » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:42 am

(I know from reading about the RTA hi-def dvds here that Sullivan technically doesn't do hi-def, but that the pic quality has been restored. And, I'll take restored over grainy any day!)

Has it come out yet? Because I'm not seeing anything on the site. Although, it doesn't help that Sullivan has so many boxsets available:

This appears to be the most recent as it includes all 4 Anne miniseries. However, it says it has only been "digally restored." Nothing about hi-def.

Then, there there is 20th anniversary collector's edition containing the original 2 miniseries and The Continuing Story.

And, last, but not least: Anne Trilogy

I know the Anne Trilogy isn't hi-def, but are either the 20 ani collectors edition or the Anne-all-4-boxset "hi-def"?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Re: Wasn't Anne supposed to re-released in hi-def?

Post by Shelly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:14 pm

The description for the collector's edition says "digitally restored picture", but I'm not 100% certain that means the miniseries got the same treatment as RTA.

You may try emailing the shop?
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I thought so, too, but I think digitally restored was as far as they decided they could go based on the original film. There's an interview with Kevin Sullivan saying that there were parts of both Anne 1 and 2 that would look horrible if they were done in hi-def. He mentioned that the scene in Anne 1 where Gilbert is watching Anne and Diana talking and laughing on the bridge was really out of focus. He said if that was to be transferred into hi-def it would look awful. I can't remember the scene he mentioned from Anne 2 but I know that at the end of the movie, when they pan out to show Anne and Gilbert on the bridge, you can faintly see phone lines above them in the fog. If that scene was transferred, I'm sure those phone lines would stick out like a sore thumb.
ImageImageImageImage

Wild Roses
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Wild Roses » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks guys. I'll have to email KS just to make super sure he isn't planning on doing a hi-def transfer before I buy (because we have long learned that KS loves making up double dip).

However, it looks like I'll just to choose between the 20th anniverary or all-4-in-one. (I don't really want TCS or the prequel: whichever boxset has the better set of extras will be the one I'll buy. )

It's too bad KS is his own franchise because he doesn't seem up to par with how to make his stuff look really spectacular or put it on the best possible discs. I do think he cares, but he's rather lazy in catching up with the technology. (I mean, seriously, how many other fanbases have had to petition the people behind the show to get the show released on dvd? The only one I can think of is Everwood, and that had more to do with music rights issues than the company not wanting to release it on dvd.) Then, again, KS is an egoist, so he probably feels all self-important if he is being petitioned. (He probably finds a way to twist our petitions and protests about anything he does into 'see how much people love me' notes to himself.)