Prisoners Want to Get hands on Avonlea Actress's...

Discuss the latest Avonlea actor, actress, and crew related news.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Prisoners Want to Get hands on Avonlea Actress's...

Post by Timothy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:35 am

...Photos. How is that for a sensationalist post? It appears Cara Pifko (Mavis Pritchard) is getting attention from prisoners in the big house.

An actress with a captive audience.
National Post by J. Kelly Nestruck
Cara Pifko often receives fan letters from prisons in the United States. The corresponding convicts usually want six 8 x 10 glossies of the actress, signed. She finds it all a little surprising since it is unlikely they get the Canadian series and miniseries in which she has starred, such as This is Wonderland or Human Cargo, on their prison televisions. "It's really bizarre," says Pifko, who is currently on stage in the three-person play Leo at Toronto's Tarragon Theatre. This is how Pifko figures it must work: The inmates scour the Internet for starlets and stumble across her, pick something off her list of credits and pretend to have seen it and loved it. "They think I might get famous one day and they can sell [the photos] on eBay," she hypothesizes, dressed all in black except for a red scarf in Tarragon's green room.
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Indeed, it seems unlikely prisoners are admirers of Road to Avonlea. I can't imagine that after a long day of swinging the hammer, these hardened criminals retire to their cells for a nightly discussion about the series or that lively debate such as 'Who's better for Felicity, Arthur or Gus?' would echo throughout their jail cells, consequently erupting into fights and riots. Perhaps they question why Mavis so quickly married Seth after Colleen passed away?

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Nah. Of course, she was also in Our Hero (a short-lived CBC series; it's also aired on WAM in the US); and she's best known for appearing on Sharon, Lois, and Brahm (a Canadian kids show) when she was a young girl.

Semi-related: This Is Wonderland was recently canceled by the CBC. IMO, it sucks; it was a fantastic show. It has another RTA connection of sorts (aside from Cara): Janet Laine-Green (Eliza Pike) was a semi-regular cast member (she played one of the judges); and Michael Mahonen, David Fox, and Cedric Smith have all guest-starred on the series.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:20 pm

I haven't seen 'This is Wonderland,' but I heard it was really good. CBC should have stuck with this show. It explains why their ratings have dropped.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:44 pm

'Tis very good. *nod* Season one is on DVD; you can order it through Amazon.ca or Chapters/Indigo.

Edit: I cured Peter Craig? So does this make me a goddess? ;)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:11 pm

Shelly wrote:I cured Peter Craig? So does this make me a goddess? ;)
If you cured that yellow streak down his back, yes. :lol:

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Wed May 16, 2007 5:11 pm

That's kind of neat. I'd love to be an "inspiration" to prisoners. Give them someone to admire and look up to in their times of trial. :)

Gwendolene
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by Gwendolene » Thu May 17, 2007 4:29 am

Shelly wrote:'Tis very good. *nod* Season one is on DVD; you can order it through Amazon.ca or Chapters/Indigo.
Ok, so off topic, but have you ordered anything from Amazon.ca? How does that work for us Yanks? Do they charge extra to convert the currency and how is the shipping? (I've always wondered...)
Keeper of Muriel Stacy's Motorcar