Anne 4...coming eventually

Discuss the latest Avonlea actor, actress, and crew related news.
Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Anne 4...coming eventually

Post by Shelly » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:21 pm

And they're looking for a new Anne...because it's going to be a prequel.

http://www.sullivanmovies.com/newannepress.html
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 am

I was suprised when I read that the other day at ShellysAvonlea.net.

Sullivan Moviesannounced: "In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the publication of Montgomery’s original novel Sullivan has penned a prequel titled Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning.

But wait... Haven't we heard something like this before? Last October, Penguin Books announced:

(October 26, 2006) As the 100th anniversary of the release of Anne of Green Gables (1908) nears, Penguin Group has announced the release of a prequel called Before Green Gables. The prequel will be written by Governor General's Literary Award finalist Budge Wilson. (Anne Prequel 'Before Green Gables' Planned for 100th Anniversary)

So Penguin Books and Sullivan Entertainment will have two separate projects released on the 100th anniversary of AoGG based on the exact same thing: Anne's life before she went to Green Gables.

Back in October, Budge Wilson discussed her involvement in the prequel project with Penguin books:

"One is mystified as to how she became the person she was when she made her first journey to Green Gables with Matthew Cuthbert. How could she have become so vibrant a person, so talkative, so articulate, so optimistic, so full of extravagant dreams? This was the enticing puzzle that drew me into the project."

Over half a year later, Sullivan had a remarkably similiar explanation why he was creating a prequel:

"The only starting point that I could find in interpreting Anne’s character was to figure out where she came from before she was at Green Gables... I could only imagine that a child who had that kind of flamboyant imagination had to have already created her own world out of a need to escape an unusual past.”

So did Sullivan get the idea from Penguin Books or did he already have this idea on his own? Interestingly, when the Penguin prequel announcement was made, it had the full support of the LMM Heirs:

Penguin is delighted to have the full support of the heirs of L.M. Montgomery and will work in co-operation with the family to create an exciting national marketing plan to make 2008 especially memorable as the year of Anne and of L.M. Montgomery... L. M. Montgomery's grandson David Macdonald, speaking for the family, said, "We are delighted that Penguin have undertaken to publish a prequel to Anne of Green Gables for 2008 and have selected respected author Budge Wilson to write Before Green Gables...

So basically we have a LMM Heir backed prequel project vs. a similiar Sullivan backed prequel project. Is this a continuation of the bitterness between Sullivan and the LMM heirs that stemmed from the court battles? It's likely that, based on the popularity of Sullivan's Anne works, that he will eclipse, or at least, diminish the impact of the Penguin book release and the LMM Heir 2008 campaign with the prequel film production. Especially with interest in the casting in Canada and the screen test search on YouTube.

Do you think that Sullivan should produce a prequel when the LMM Heirs are already backing a different prequel project?
Last edited by Timothy on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AvonLea
Won Avonlea Spelling B

Post by AvonLea » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:00 pm

I must admit that I'm looking forward to this movie, but I am dissapointed that they didn't work together with the movie and book. Now there will be two beginings, and neither will seem right.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:39 am

I agree AvonLea. I just hope that K-Sul doesn't pick Stefan Scaini and Laurie Pearson, the writer-director team from 'Anne 3' and the worst RTA episode 'From Away,' to make 'A New Beginning.' Already, the questions of whether this will be another 'Anne 3' are beginning.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:23 pm

Reaction amongst other fans seems to be mostly negative at the moment. I've also read some say that they would've been happier with a second RTA reunion film than an Anne prequel film.

Personally, I have to say I'm looking more forward to the book than the film, probably because Anne 3 was so horrid, and I'm afraid this prequel will follow in its footsteps. I also think the film will probably diminish interest in the book, rather than take it away completely. That said, I think if Sullivan wants to do a prequel, he should be able to. Methinks he probably just wanted to do his own take on the idea; and, IMO, there's nothing wrong with that.
foreverzach.net

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:53 pm

Kevin Sullivan is both writing and directing this, BTW.

Meanwhile, there've been no auditions received yet...

http://www.thestar.com/article/232974
foreverzach.net

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:22 am

I'm a bit surprise that no one has tried out for Anne on YouTube.

The big question on many fans minds: Is this prequel going to be in the spirit of Montgomery or in the spirit of Anne 3? Sullivan said that he strayed from the Montgomery literature in Anne 3 because he wanted the Anne series to fit the RTA timeline in respect to World War 1. Now he shouldn't have to worry about that. The prequel takes place in that era of innocence before WW1. The cons about this is that there is scarce Montgomery material to draw from. It will be interesting to see if Sullivan will try to recapture the spirit of Montgomery's Anne.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:53 pm

There is one audition up there now, by a thirteen-year-old (although the maximum age wanted is twelve). I have to say I wasn't all that impressed.
foreverzach.net

Georgiana
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by Georgiana » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:19 am

I think I will watch it but it won't seem like Anne without Megan Follows playing Anne.

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 pm

There are a few more auditions up now. At the moment, my favourite is a girl named Joy.
foreverzach.net

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:48 am

I thought Joy did a pretty good job. She looked the part.

I wonder if Sullivan will pick an actress from outside Canada? There was a strong insistance that the actress be Canadian in his first production of AoGG.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:16 am

An Aug. 6th article for MacCleans addresses the issue between the two prequels scheduled for release on the 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables and questions whether this was a coincidence by Sullivan. There will probably be more stories about this as the anniversary draws closer. Here's an excerpt:

Will the real Anne please stand up? In celebration of the 100th anniversary of 'Anne of Green Gables': duelling prequels
MacCleans By KATIE ENGELHART

More at issue for Montgomery fans, though, is Sullivan's liberal interpretation of the Anne story. His production company advertises a prequel that will chronicle Anne's pre-orphan days. But wait! Didn't Montgomery herself tell us that Anne was orphaned just after birth, left alone to face a decade of abuse and neglect? "That depends on whether you believe that or not," Sullivan says. "The path I've chosen deviates slightly from Montgomery. It acknowledges the fact that Anne says she was born an orphan, but then enlightens the audience as to perhaps why she was not."

By his own calculations, Sullivan's idea to film a prequel was born months
after Penguin's announcement. Still, he claims he didn't know about Wilson's book until recently.
Despite the controversy, Sullivan reminds fans that his films are meant to recreate the spirit of the novels, not to literally depict them.

In the meantime, fans like M. J. Patchouli from Regina, who wrote a university thesis on Montgomery's work, remain decidedly unimpressed. "I hate what Kevin Sullivan does to her stories; he removes the character and whitewashes them," Patchouli posted on a blog. "Boo Kevin Sullivan productions."

Source

emphasis added mine.

Annie
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Annie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 pm

Any word yet on who the new Anne is? I thought I read somewhere that they would begin filming this month.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:12 am

As far as I know, it's still not decided. This was posted in the last Boutique newsletter:

Who will be the next Anne of Green Gables ?

Canada you’ve got talent! The competition is fierce as Sullivan Entertainment waits in the balance of some strong contenders for the role of the next Anne Shirley. This month we will begin Production on the latest installment of this beloved series but we still can’t decide on a leading young lady. Who will it be? Where will she come from? Stay tuned to the Sullivan Entertainment website to find out!
(emphasis mine)

Did you notice how they addressed only 'Canada' when they stated 'Canada you've got talent?' How come they didn't state 'world you've got talent, America you've got talent, Finland you've got talent? etc. Could it be that--fearing a backlash from Canadians--there is secretly no intention to get an Anne anywhere except Canada?

Can you imagine the outrage from Canadians if there was an Anne picked from another Country?

Sullivan came under this type of pressure when he was casting the original Anne of Green Gables mini-series. According to court records in the legal disputes between Sullivan Entertainment and the LMM Heirs, Katherine Hepburn agreed to play Marilla Cuthbert on condition that her niece, Schuyler Grant, would be cast as Anne (Grant is American). However, the pressure was so great to cast a Canadian Anne that Megan Follows was selected for the role instead.

If only 'Canada' has talent as the boutique stated, then is it possible that
the YouTube auditions were designed to generate publicity and--based on the problems concerning the original film casting--there is no intention to pick an Anne anywhere but Canada?

Haystacks
King Farm Hired Hand

Post by Haystacks » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I think it shows from past projects that works not directly based on LM Montgomery's works are going to be crap....It is also a unpleasent trend that I admit personally I can't stand. Like seing a modern sequel to Pride and Prejudice-- if the Author is no longer alive to protest, it is taking advantage of someone else's creation.