outrages

Discuss the latest Avonlea actor, actress, and crew related news.
TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

outrages

Post by TrueChristian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm

I just read this and is outraged. It says Sarah polley is going to get a honourary degrees from Trent University. Sarah Polley is a high school drop out. This university should not be giving a degree to a high school drop out. She did not earn this award by actually sitting through classes and passing exams.

This does not send a good message to todays youth that they can drop out of school. Not everyone has family that can get them into show business or into a career, and this type of message could set them on a road to ruin. Shame on Trent University!

here is links
http://www.mykawartha.com/news/article/37714

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm afraid True Christian that the university doesn't specifically focus on scholarly achievements, but on other achievements, and how people nationwide view these people.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:17 am

once again Piére you are absolutely right. its refreshing to hear your rationality.

i waited for Trent university to explain this travesty why they were giving this honorary degree to someone who was a hgh school drop out and did not deserve it. To my surprise in the peterboroughexaminer the Chancellor gave one of the dumbest reasons imaginable.

from the articles:

"Outgoing chancellor Dr. Roberta Bondar wished the graduates luck in the future and encouraged them to never stop learning..."

NEVER stop learning? She approved giving a university degree to someone who dropped out of High School. Very hypocritical.

"Ask how we can influence the world around us," Bondar said. "That's why, when we see Sarah Polley's movies, they give us pause for thought."

Pause for thought? Her movies? So... how does shooting zombies in dawn of the dead change the world or flushing illlegal drugs down the toilet in Go? polly is very entertaining and talented writer and actress, but she doesnt deserve this degree she did not earn.

The students are very lucky that Bondar is leaving, because her decision was ridiculus and sets a poor example for future students. Bondar should be ashamed of herself.

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:12 am

Actually, I don't know her movies, but from what you tell me, it's quite the opposite of the Avonlea story.
A man fell in a deep pit and suffered greatly. A Buddhist said: 'Meditate and ignore your circumstances.' A Hindu said: 'You must have bad karma, you deserve your fate.' But Jesus had pity on the man, climbed down and rescued him.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Universities have been giving honourary degrees to well-known people (regardless of how far they went in their education) for donkey's years. This is nothing new.

Also, if memory serves, Sarah does have her GED.
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:16 am

I know, they started doing this moons ago; doesn't mean you have to agree with it. A university still is an institute of learning, so in my view there has to be some connection with studying. I wonder why Trent University did this; I don't see the connection with Trent; what do they gain from it? Fame?

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:10 pm

You usually have to donate a building. Then you participate in a ceremony where you shovel a few scoops of dirt as a gesture to pretend like your part of the construction process.

~

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 pm

:lol:

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:56 pm

ImageImageImageImage

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Post by The Chef » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:01 pm

The large section about controversies certainly agrees with one of the top lines:

'The university often derives benefits by association with the person in question.'

TrueChristian
Planted Magic Seeds

Post by TrueChristian » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 am

I agree with the part that says these fake degrees "mislead the general public about their qualifications." These Universities are no beter thatn those online sites where you can buy a fraud degrees without taking any tests. i just dont think s. polley has contributed to society in a way that earns this fake degree.

Margherita
Wearing Blue Satin Slippers

Post by Margherita » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 am

Personally, I think the work of actors and actresses is highly overrated. Sure, it´s an honourable job to entertain others, but there are lots of people out there who dedicate their entire life to helping others. And do they get similar recognition? Usually not, though IMHO they deserve it a million times more than some actor or actress - no matter how talented they are. Being famous is not the same as being a hero.

Margherita
When life hands you a lemon - make lemonade! ~ Olivia Dale

The Chef
Cured Peter Craig

Re: outrages

Post by The Chef » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 pm

There you have it Margherita, the media makes up a large part of todays opinionmakers. The work of actors is indeed highly overrated. When something is on CNN, whatever it is, it becomes 'important'. Sometimes you see the weirdest people on TV with their 'message'. Many people allow themselves to be steered into a certain frame of thought by the mainstream media; one can end up thinking somthing or someone is important or has something valuable to say, when in fact it is all hot air more often than not.