Gus's New Fiancé

Discuss the series, characters and episodes.
Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Re: Gus's New Fiancé

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 am

hannikan wrote:I agree with you it would be very out of character to jump from woman to woman. Gus associated womanizing with Abe Pike and we all know how much Gus liked him... I think this whole conflict would have had to be a long term issue that might have replaced the explosion/reported dead storyline. And as such it would had to be done quite delicately... not sure how exactly but it's got me thinking...
I hadn’t thought about Abe Pike but your right—Gus saw Abe as womanize. Abe Pike was never a role model for Gus.

I’ve never been a fan of the “reported dead storyline” and so I would gladly discard that storyline in favor of Gus having a fiancé’ storyline—as long as if was done right. I would want the new fiancé to be a new main character (not a guest appearance).
hannikan wrote:I don't really see their relationship as being that fairy tale like really. It had a lot of ups and downs that were rooted in too much reality to be fairy tale like to me. And in that era a lot of couples did know each other all their lives.
You don’t? Ok…that’s alright. Maybe I should say I see it as the Avonlea Fairy tale ending. The plotline goes like this. Boy meets girl. Falls in love with her, always loves her—no matter what. Girl dislikes him at first but in the end realizes that the boy is what she always wanted. This pattern can be seen in Anne of Green Gables between Anne and Gilbert and in the Gus and Felicity relationship.

Shelly
Leader of the Suffragette Movement

Post by Shelly » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 pm

So I didn't answer the original question. Time to rectify that. :)

If Gus got engaged to someone other than Felicity, I think it would depend a lot on how said engagement were written, and what the fiancée was like (was she likeable, were she and Gus compatible, that sort of thing), for it to be even remotely palatable; and even then, there would still be fans in a tizzy because -- to them -- Gus should be with no one but Felicity, and vice versa. I think a big reason why so many of us were not fans of Stuart -- aside from him being a virtual outsider, being portrayed by the same actor who played Harmon Andrews in the first season, the age difference between both actors and characters (even though an older man marrying a much-younger woman was true to the period), etc. -- was because of his personality ("What about me?" / "If you were any kind of gentleman, you'd leave."), especially in regards to Felicity's connection to Gus.

I also agree it would have to be a long-term storyline; this is something that can't be resolved well in one episode.
Miss Lewis wrote:Maybe I should say I see it as the Avonlea Fairy tale ending. The plotline goes like this. Boy meets girl. Falls in love with her, always loves her—no matter what. Girl dislikes him at first but in the end realizes that the boy is what she always wanted. This pattern can be seen in Anne of Green Gables between Anne and Gilbert and in the Gus and Felicity relationship.
THIS! *nods*

I think, in an indirect way, you've nailed why I prefer Anne and Gil's storyline and relationship over Gus and Felicity's. The way Anne and Gil's relationship was developed -- both on-screen and in the books -- was brilliant. When I first saw RTA, I was never really captivated or drawn into the Gus/Felicity saga that much -- partly because I prefered Felix and Izzy's relationship (still do), but I think in hindsight it was also because it was already done with Anne and Gil...and (IMO) beautifully so.

I think I can expand on the Avonlea Fairy Tale storyline...

1) Girl and boy meet under very embarrassing circumstances.
-- Anne & Gil = He calls her "carrots", pulls her hair, she retaliates by breaking a slate over his head and is promptly punished for it by Mr. Phillips. Even after apologizing, she won't forgive him. Not for a long while, anyway.
-- Gus & Felicity = She's chasing Felix around the yard, wanting her diary back, whilst her fake breasts are slipping out of her dress (and her bun is falling apart). Felix sees Gus working with Alec, and introduces Gus to Felicity ("Meet my sister, or, should I say, "my peerless flower", Felicity.").

2) He always loves her, no matter what.
(Pretty self-explanatory either way.)

3) She dislikes him, at first.
-- Anne & Gil = She took forever (it seemed) to forgive him for the "Carrots" incident. But even after she did so, Gil was still not her romantic ideal, only a friend.
-- Gus & Felicity = Even though they did become friends... "I intend to set my sights higher than a dirt-covered boy who lives in an old lighthouse!" proclaimed Felicity.

4) She finds her romantic ideal in someone else.
-- Anne & Gil = She meets Roy Gardiner (books)/Morgan Harris (movies).
-- Gus & Felicity = She meets Arthur Pettibone and enjoys having two men "fight" for her affection, akin to her mum having five beaux (including Alec) swooning over her. While Gus is presumed dead, she meets Stuart McRae and (IMO, reluctantly) accept his ring.

5) Something happens to boy as a start to getting her to "see the light".
-- Anne & Gil = Gil becomes engaged to Christine Stuart. Ultimately, she ends up rejecting Morgan. (movies).
-- Gus & Felicity = Gus and Arthur have a fight. Felicity turns Arthur down, as Gus is willing to court her properly et al (even though she turned down his proposal, she was willing to give courtship a go). Later, Gus goes back out to sea (twice). Both times, she accepts his ring. When the Maid of Calais goes down, and Gus is presumed dead, she goes into major mourning.

6) Something traumatic happens to really drive the point home that boy is, and was, the only one for girl from the start.
-- Anne & Gil = He becomes ill with scarlet fever. She becomes concerned that the worst will happen and he'll never know how much she cared for him. (movies)
-- Gus & Felicity = Where do I start?

7) Boy and Girl tie the knot.
(Self-explanatory.)
foreverzach.net
"Luck. It had nothing to do with it." ~ Izzy Pettibone

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Yeah I follow you both on the fairy tale aspects until the ending. It doesn't have a fairy tale ending to me because I have a hard time seeing any traditional fairy tale that would end with the male romantic hero staying blind. If it were to have a fairy tale ending Gus' s sight would have been restored. And I'm very glad it wasn't because that maintains the realism. If anything it is more tragic hero/Greek myth than fairy tale. I also think it is somewhat similar to Anne and Gil but has some very important differences that keep it from feeling rehashed. I actually think Felix and Izzy have some similarities to Anne and Gil, too.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:06 pm

If it were a true fairy tale ending Stuart would have ended up blind. :)

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Timothy wrote:If it were a true fairy tale ending Stuart would have ended up blind. :)
Ha! Yes of course if it had been a true Greek tragedy Gus would have blinded himself a la Oedipus...
ImageImageImageImage

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 am

hannikan wrote:Yeah I follow you both on the fairy tale aspects until the ending. It doesn't have a fairy tale ending to me because I have a hard time seeing any traditional fairy tale that would end with the male romantic hero staying blind.

In the Real version of Rapunzel , the prince becomes blind by thorns. So In unedited versions of the fairy-tales the hero can have bad things happen to them too. Most people know the kids version of the fairy tale which are edited-- for good reasons too: For example, in the Cinderella, the step-sisters cut their feet to try to fit into the slipper. There is a big difference between the real Fairy-tales and the kid version ones.
Shelly wrote:I think, in an indirect way, you've nailed why I prefer Anne and Gil's storyline and relationship over Gus and Felicity's. The way Anne and Gil's relationship was developed -- both on-screen and in the books -- was brilliant. When I first saw RTA, I was never really captivated or drawn into the Gus/Felicity saga that much -- partly because I prefered Felix and Izzy's relationship (still do), but I think in hindsight it was also because it was already done with Anne and Gil...and (IMO) beautifully so.
The Anne and Gil relationship was done so beutifully...Felicity and Gus can't match it. Looking at from this point of view, I am liking the Izzy and Felix realationship better then the Gus and Felcity realationship. And yet, even that said, I still favor the Gus/Felicity thing over the other cuples. Not sure why---maybe it’s a bios from growing up liking the Gus/Feilcity realstionship
hannikan wrote:I also think it is somewhat similar to Anne and Gil but has some very important differences that keep it from feeling rehashed. I actually think Felix and Izzy have some similarities to Anne and Gil, too.
Details please!I am interested to see how you see Izzy/ Felix relationship is like Anne /Gil’s relationship

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Well there are many love stories that are similar to Anne and Gil. In many ways, it is a very simple, classic love story. It reminds me somewhat of Taming of the Shrew. As for how Felix and Izzy remind me of Anne and Gil, the main thing is the struggling btwn deciding whether to be friends or romantically involved. They remind me a lot of Anne and Gil in Anne of Avonlea where they are close buddies, best friends but one or both of them (instead of just Anne) are unsure how to transform their relationship. I don't ever really see that element in Gus and Felicity's relationship which is why to me it's quite different. They're friends but there's always an undertone of romance from the start. Also the whole Felix implying that he kissed Izzy and then trying to win her forgiveness is very Anne and Gil with the slate incident to me. Izzy doesn't forgive Felix and Anne didn't forgive Gil (took her longer but it's the same idea).
ImageImageImageImage

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 am

hannikan wrote:Also the whole Felix implying that he kissed Izzy and then trying to win her forgiveness is very Anne and Gil with the slate incident to me. Izzy doesn't forgive Felix and Anne didn't forgive Gil (took her longer but it's the same idea).
Yes that does sound like the Anne and Gil romance echoing in the Felix and Izzy romance. The thing that is so different between the Felix and Izzy romance then the Anne and Gil romance is that While Gil always wanted Anne, Felix didn’t. Felix has other ambitions and dreams. It’s almost as if he stumbles upon romance with Izzy rather then searching it out. In that respect Felix is a more real then Gilbert is. Gilbert’s main goal is to win Anne’s heart. Felix has dreams about getting money, building a hotel and seeing the world. He seems very unGilbert like because he HAS dreams outside of winning someone’s heart.

I am beginning to like Felix better then I use too because he has dreams other then just trying to win someone’s heart.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Being a doctor isn't a big dream? :wink: I think Gilbert was very ambitious about academics so I can't agree with the idea that he didn't have dreams. I think perhaps the focus of Gilbert's wooing Anne in the movies makes us forget that in the books that was not really his only aim. Maybe all us girls also want to focus on that part of things with Gilbert. :wink: As for Fizzy, it is Izzy who reminds me more of Gilbert wanting Felix for awhile. No it's not as long or as focused on but if you pay close attention you can see that Izzy is pretty taken with Felix pretty early on. She always champions his hair-brained schemes. And then once Felix realizes his feelings for Izzy he is consumed with them in much the way Gilbert is for Anne. And Izzy becomes a bit Anne like in the way she treats Felix. Think of his desperate pleas to be forgiven for the lie about the kiss. That reminds me very much of the "carrots" incident. It isn't drawn out for as long but it is still quite similar.
Last edited by hannikan on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 am

hannikan wrote:Being a doctor isn't a big dream? I think Gilbert was very ambitious about academics so I can't agree with the idea that he didn't have dreams. I think perhaps the focus of Gilbert's wooing Anne in the movies makes us forget that in the books that was not really his only aim.
I knew someone would bring this up. Of course, being a doctor is a big dream. From the movie view, the doctor storyline seems like a footnote in Gilbert‘s life. That’s because in a movie there isn’t enough time to develop all the characters fully. So yes, you are right--wooing Anne isn’t Gilbert’s only aim. A series has more time to develop each character, Felix seems more rounded and compete then Gilbert does because he had more onscreen time.

I still don’t see Felix/Izzy relationship as Anne/Gilbert like but that’s ok.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Yeah, it's actually my mom who brought up the fact that Felix reminded her of Gilbert when Felix was older, esp w/Izzy. Once she mentioned that I noticed it more myself. Another example of the similarities is in Woman of Importance, when Felix is trying to get Izzy to "stay here with me" in Avonlea instead of going to Boston with her aunt Lillian. That is similar to Gilbert imploring Anne to marry him but instead she decides to look outside Avonlea for inspiration and goes to Kingsport. It seems to me that part of the reason Anne wants to leave Avonlea is that she wants to get away from the small town gossip mill about she and Gilbert. Izzy seems eager to escape the kiss gossip with Felix.

One reason I think it might not be as obvious that there are some similarities btwn Anne + Gil and Felix + Izzy is that we see Felix and Izzy when they are much younger than Anne and Gil (prepubescent, before they think they are interested in the opposite sex). We "meet" Felicity and Gus when they are about the same age that we "meet" Anne and Gil. But I think both RTA relationships share some similarities with Anne + Gil.
ImageImageImageImage