Virtual Reading Room

Comments? Criticism? Tell me what you think about the website.
Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Virtual Reading Room

Post by Timothy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:51 pm

The Virtual Avonlea Library/Reading Room is now open. These virtual page-flipping books serve as a companion to Virtual Avonlea and showcase excerpts and quotes from articles during the Victorian and Edwardian era. The first two books featured are 'Every Girl's Calendar' and 'Wisdom of Our Time.'

'Every Girl's Calendar' is derived from the magazine mentioned in the series, except it is the August 1912 edition (The time frame for Virtual Avonlea). It also includes a version of 'How To Find Your Perfect Beau,' as well as a few fashion guides, beauty secrets and advice. 'The Wisdom of Our Time' features some interesting quotes and predictions about science, inventions, health and a variety of other subjects.

Please be patient as these books may take time to load depending on computer speed or bandwidth limitations.

http://avonleaguide.com/virtual/library/

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Re: Virtual Reading Room

Post by StoryJan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Nice work! It looks fantastic! Every Girl's Calendar was both fun and informational. I had several nice laughs looking at the advertisements, especially the chin reducer! What a scary looking contraption! And some of those how to find your perfect beau tips seem dangerous. I can't imagine trying to walk around a city block with a mouthful of water without swallowing. And Geology as the poor man's science? I can certainly imagine Clara Potts subscribing to that theory if only to knock Hetty down a peg or two.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Some of the 'Find your Perfect Beau' tips did look dangerous and some looked funny like the pidgeon toe meekness cue and finding initials in a handkerchief. The tip about the first person you shake hands with kind of reminded me of a variation of Peg Bowen's plan for Olivia and Jasper. I also liked Mrs. Sangster's advice column. I found the magazine containing the column in an antique shop and thought it might be a good addition to the virtual magazine. It was in pretty good shape, considering that it was published in 1903.

I can definitely see Clara knocking Hetty down a peg with that reference to geology as a poor man's science. I can imagine her telling it to Hetty and Roger to help them understand why Roger's profession is so inferior. I found quite a few funny yet baffling ideas while compiling quotes for 'Widsom of Our Time,' like Tesla's quote about a device that could light the whole ocean so an accident like the Titanic won't happen again or the quote about intelligent life on mars.

The most interesting part for me was how many influential people of the era got things completely wrong, including professors, doctors and scientists--(men like Edison who rejected alternating current or Lord Kelvin who dismissed flying machines, for example). It makes me wonder how many commonly accepted ideas or beliefs held today will be rejected by future generations.

hannikan
Won Cameron Music Competition

Post by hannikan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Oh man, I couldn't get it to load. I'll have to try again. I agree about it being funny what "experts" dismiss or laud w/o concrete evidence. The women's magazine tips sound hilarious. Of course some of today are, too. :?
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for letting me know Hannikan, as I'd really like you to see it. If it's not too much bother, could you try downloading the latest version of flash player, if you don't already have it? --and then let me know if that works.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Oh no, not too much bother at all. :) I actually had downloaded an update to Adobe in between so I think that fixed it. Ha, that was fun! I esp liked how similar the perfect beau stuff was. Now we know where the powdered toenail clippings came from. I still wonder how Felix got a hold of Felicity's toenail clippings. And I liked (well was scared by) the chin minimizer. Of course it reminds me of the facial exercise books I've seen where you "exercise" your face to reduce wrinkles.. Probably more painful though...
ImageImageImageImage

StoryJan
White Sands Employee

Post by StoryJan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:16 am

After reading the Wisdom of Our Time, I began thinking maybe I shouldn't have made fun of Arthur for believing in underwater unicorns. I think you're right; some of today's accepted knowledge will most likely be laughed at by future generations, but part of the fun is imagining just what that will be. In the advice column, I loved how the columnist scolded the young girl for complaining about her mother. Did anyone else think she sounded like Rachel Lynde? I also loved, loved, loved the "But Why?" Listerine ad! It reminded me so much of Anne's Rollings Reliable writing contest. Overall, I thought you did a great job capturing the historical and cultural nature of the time.

hannikan

Post by hannikan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 am

Ah, the Listerine ad was funny. Well sad, too. I have read other ads in Harper's from the era about the very same thing. I wonder if I could find it. Some picture of a girl getting married with her bridesmaids and then it says something like if they don't rid of their halitosis, they'll always be the bridesmaid, never the bride. They need the bride's secret: Listerine! I agree you did a great job finding articles and ads to put together that give the flavor of the time.
ImageImageImageImage

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:54 pm

I can really see Rachel Lynde giving that same advice. I can see her reading the column and vigerously shaking her head in agreement. The listerine ad was a little outside the time frame, but it was too irresistable not to include.

I found the patent for the invention in 'Wisdom of our time' where you can fly in a contraption powered by eagles, condors and vultures intereresting. I'm trying to imagine how you steer all those birds--with little harnesses?