Alike Avonlea — Light & Heartwarming — Films & Series

Stop in and talk about anything!
Serge
Pat's Meow

Alike Avonlea — Light & Heartwarming — Films & Series

Post by Serge » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:36 am

Timothy, thank you for organizing this "Free Chat" section!

I suggest for anyone to post in this thread "Avonlea-like" films and series — ones that resemble Avonlea in some kind — heartwarming ones or just light ones that highlight kind relations between people.

I begin here from very-very close to Avonlea for me:

Lark Rise to Candleford

BBC television series (2008—11) set in 1895 or close to. There 4 seasons and 40 one-hour episodes in total. Story revolves between small town and village nearby. Each light and heartwarming episode highlight some kind of relations resolved by the end of episode. There also several longer storylines. Laura Timmins certainly can be paralleled with both Sara Stanley and Felicity King, but she is already grown up girl at the beginning and series start with Laura's departure from Lark Rise village to Candleford post office held by Dorcas Lane — she can be seen as younger Hetty King — she tries to solve (and solves!) all community problems in kind and "smile-like" way. Laura's father Robert Timmins can be paralleled with Alec King. One significant difference — there no such dramatic episodes in LRTC (Lark Rise to Candleford) like those in last season of RTA (Road to Avonlea).

Laura Timmins (Olivia Hallinan)

While series run on TV, there are several long threads (most are of more than hundred pages) were run on DigitalSpy forum. I cannot read them all but significant part of. From 2nd season Julia Sawalha (Dorcas Lane in LRTC) took part in forum discussion (!). Her first and last messages there.

Dorcas Lane (Julia Sawalha)

YouTube filled with fan clips about LRTC, here two of truly beautiful (and without severe spoilers):

Lark Rise To Candleford — Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Lark Rise To Candleford — The Winner Takes It All

And two of romantic line between Laura and Fisher (no severe spoilers):

Fisher & Laura | Find My Way Back

Terrified — Fisher and Laura

As for me personally — I rewatched LRTC many times (close to "at each year" basis), as RTA, and I certainly will rewatch these two series till I'm here on earth.

UPD. DigitalSpy discussion & appreciation forum threads (multipaged ones) for Lark Rise to Candleford:

Lark Rise to Candleford: The Series 1 Discussion Thread (12 pages)
Lark Rise to Candleford: The Series 2 Discussion Thread (190 pages), Part 2 (9 pages)
Lark Rise to Candleford: The Series 3 Discussion Thread (90 pages)
Lark Rise to Candleford: The Series 4 Discussion Thread (123 pages)

Lark Rise to Candleford: Appreciation Thread (123 pages)
Lark Rise to Candleford: Appreciation Thread (Part 2) (118 pages)
Lark Rise to Candleford: Appreciation Thread (Part 3) (124 pages)
Lark Rise to Candleford: Appreciation Thread (Part 4) (51 pages)

840 pages in total.

Also there are several small threads (mainky single-paged). Quite interesting of them is Lark Rise to Candleford — the distance between them.

UPD 2. Somewhat more detailed reviews for each season:

Review: Lark Rise to Candleford — Series 1
Review: Lark Rise to Candleford — Series 2
Review: Lark Rise to Candleford — Series 3
Review: Lark Rise to Candleford — Series 4

Attached photo — Pearl and Ruby Pratt, two extra-fashionable owners of Candleford dressmakers' shop.
Attachments
Pearl.and.Ruby.Pratt.from.Candleford.jpg
Pearl.and.Ruby.Pratt.from.Candleford.jpg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
Last edited by Serge on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is a strangeness in simple things.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Re: Alike Avonlea — Light & Heartwarming — Films & Series

Post by Timothy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks for sharing Serge. I can definitely see the similarities.

I remember around the time of the series, Avonlea was often compared to Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. The series took place earlier, starting in 1867 and was set in Colorado Springs. I suppose there are some Victorian styles in Dr. Quinn that were still present in Avonlea's Edwardian era. Also, Avonlea later had a female Doctor with Dr. Jones in Thursdays Child, and Felicity's desire to pursue a medical career.

Another series that is often compared to Avonlea is Little House on the Prairie, set in the 1880's.

However, these two shows are set closer to the timeline of the early Anne books than Road to Avonlea.

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Timothy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:37 pm
I remember around the time of the series, Avonlea was often compared to Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. The series took place earlier, starting in 1867 and was set in Colorado Springs. I suppose there are some Victorian styles in Dr. Quinn that were still present in Avonlea's Edwardian era. Also, Avonlea later had a female Doctor with Dr. Jones in Thursdays Child, and Felicity's desire to pursue a medical career.
Thank you, Timothy! I never seen Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman and never heard of it until now. I'll try to see it whenever possible.
Timothy wrote:
Another series that is often compared to Avonlea is Little House on the Prairie, set in the 1880's.
I'd seen several first episodes of Little House on the Prairie (many years ago), yes, it is quite similar. I'll try to see further.
Timothy wrote:
However, these two shows are set closer to the timeline of the early Anne books than Road to Avonlea.
Yes, times are different, but it is not so important. Main point of this topic is to present series or films that are similar in depicting some idyllic place or lighthearted at all.

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:14 am

I continue my recommendations with "virtual spin-off" from Lark Rise to Candleford:

The House of Eliott

This BBC television series describes in detail "what if Pearl and Ruby Pratt (two sisters and extra-fashionable owners of Candleford dressmakers' shop) being moved to London in 1920s." Series was created by Eileen Atkins and Jean Marsh — creators of famous Upstairs, Downstairs series from 1970s.

Two sisters Beatrice ("Bea") and Evangeline ("Evie") Eliott are left alone in the beginning of story and need to live in tight circumstances. They can sew and able to create beautifully designed dresses so (after first searchings of job and several trials) they tried to make a living of such abilities.

Image Image
Beatrice (Bea) and Evangeline (Evie) Eliott (Stella Gonet and Louise Lombard)

Series of 1991—94 consists of 3 seasons and 34 episodes (of 50-minutes each) in total. It is also warm and touching though it is rather far from Avonlea. I discovered it in 2009 or so and rewatched it several times, maybe (slightly) more frequent comparing both to Avonlea and Candleford. (Some days ago I finished rewatching first season of The House of Eliott.)

I set these three series in "way of grow up": Avonlea is mainly about childhoud with some steps to youth; Candleford is mainly abouth youth with some steps to maturity; The House of Eliott starts with step out of youth to maturity.

Two YouTube clips about sisters:

The House of Eliott — Sisters

Beatrice Eliott — "Who Will Sing Me Lullabies?"

More detailed review of first series (with not at all or maybe tiny spoilers).

Very detailed review (recap) of each of first nine episodes (with episode images and comments and spoilers):

The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 1
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 2
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 3
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 4
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 5
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 6
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 7
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 8
The House of Eliott: Series 1, Episode 9 (this from wayback machine)

The House of Eliott — The Original Music — Jim Parker (YouTube Soundtrack)

Serge
Pat's Meow

The House of Eliott — Further Info

Post by Serge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:47 am

Timothy wrote:
...Avonlea was often compared to Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
What a coincidence, Timothy! Both Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman and The House of Eliott were nominees to 46th Emmy Award (1994) in category Outstanding Individual Achievement in Costume Design for a Series and The House of Eliott won.

The House of Eliott also was nominated to BAFTA (1992) in Costume Design category together with Agatha Christie's Poirot (ten programmes) and also won.

Detailed synopsis of The House of Eliott (all three seasons on single page, spoilers).

Individual Episodes Analysis of The House of Eliott (very detailed; spoilers)
In these individual episode analysis of House of Eliott, we not only describe the events in detail, but we try to penetrate the psychological, social, and life forces at work that enable the main characters to progress, accomplish, and find fulfillment in life.
Analysis of Season One of The House of Eliott
Analysis of Season Two of The House of Eliott
Analysis of Season Three of The House of Eliott

And more further (and detailed) info on The House of Eliott series.

Timothy
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Timothy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 am

What a coincidence, Timothy! Both Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman and The House of Eliott were nominees to 46th Emmy Award (1994) in category Outstanding Individual Achievement in Costume Design for a Series and The House of Eliott won.
Thanks Serge for letting me know about The House of Elliot. Somehow this flew under my radar. It makes me wonder what happened to the Avonlea characters in the 1920's.

Another series around the same time period is Downton Abbey. In fact, it starts in 1912 when Avonlea was ending. How funny that an argument for ending Avonlea was that there were no new stories to be told. And yet, you had incredibly changing times in the lead up to world war 1.

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:31 am

Timothy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 am
Another series around the same time period is Downton Abbey. In fact, it starts in 1912 when Avonlea was ending. How funny that an argument for ending Avonlea was that there were no new stories to be told. And yet, you had incredibly changing times in the lead up to world war 1.
Thank you, Timothy! Sometime ago I've seen first season of Downton Abbey. Visually beautiful.

Above I mentioned Upstairs, Downstairs (UD, series of 70s), and Downton Abbey can be seen as "modernized version" of UD. I've seen (and rewatched later) both original Upstairs, Downstairs from 70s (five seasons, 68 episodes) and its continuation from 2010s (two short seasons). Maybe I'll rewatch older UD sometime later.

And yet one series about pre & post WWI period — The Duchess of Duke Street, series of late 70s. I rewatched it several times and rewatching these days. It is history of life of Louisa Leyton, proprietrix of private (small) hotel in London. I very like this series.

Here I found quite informative reviews for many series noted in this thread (and more):
Elegance of Fashion — period drama review index

Both Upstairs, Downstairs (older series) and The Duchess of Duke Street can be partially found on YouTube. Here the first episodes of them (quality is not so good alas):

Upstairs, Downstairs — Season 1, Episode 1

The Duchess of Duke Street — Season 1, Episode 1

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Serge, Thanks for creating this thread and for detailed explaintion of other Road to Avonlea (RTA) like series--you even added pictures :D .

I've watched a few seasons of Downton Abbey. For me, it did not capture the feel or charm of RTA. It had more adult themes and more modern feel than RTA. Downton Abby has serial feel. I remember some episodes ending on cliff hangers or unresolved story-lines--which drives you on to watch "just one more episode"--luckily I watched it on DVD :wink: . Most Avonlea episodes were a completed story and issues were resolved by the end of episode. There were on going story-lines (like Felicity and Gus, Felix and Izzy, Rachel Lynn's stoke, ect..) but each episode could stand one it's own. RTA is like a meandering stream, the peaceful journey was the reward.

And by the way, Please disagree with me if you like Downton Abbey and see it more similar to RTA (I welcome a good friendly discussion.)

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Lark Rise to Candleford

BBC television series (2008—11) set in 1895 or close to. There 4 seasons and 40 one-hour episodes in total. Story revolves between small town and village nearby. Each light and heartwarming episode highlight some kind of relations resolved by the end of episode. There also several longer storylines. Laura Timmins certainly can be paralleled with both Sara Stanley and Felicity King, but she is already grown up girl at the beginning and series start with Laura's departure from Lark Rise village to Candleford post office held by Dorcas Lane — she can be seen as younger Hetty King — she tries to solve (and solves!) all community problems in kind and "smile-like" way. Laura's father Robert Timmins can be paralleled with Alec King. One significant difference — there no such dramatic episodes in LRTC (Lark Rise to Candleford) like those in last season of RTA (Road to Avonlea).
Well stated, Serge. You have some very good analysis on characters from Lark Rise that parallel RTA characters. I agree with your points. Dorcas Lane, though a bit sweeter, is very much like Hetty King. Both of them nose into other people's lives.

Of all the Shows listed so far, Lark Rise to Candleford is most like RTA (in my humble opinion). Both have feel of community and family. Themes of change and trying to preserve a sense of community in mists of change are in both shows. Both shows have---nosy neighbors, hard-working family members, and a sense that everyone looks out for each other.

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Miss Lewis wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm
Serge, Thanks for creating this thread and for detailed explaintion of other Road to Avonlea (RTA) like series--you even added pictures :D .
Miss Lewis, it's a pleasure.
Miss Lewis wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm
I've watched a few seasons of Downton Abbey. For me, it did not capture the feel or charm of RTA. It had more adult themes and more modern feel than RTA. Downton Abby has serial feel. I remember some episodes ending on cliff hangers or unresolved story-lines--which drives you on to watch "just one more episode"--luckily I watched it on DVD :wink: . Most Avonlea episodes were a completed story and issues were resolved by the end of episode. There were on going story-lines (like Felicity and Gus, Felix and Izzy, Rachel Lynn's stoke, ect..) but each episode could stand one it's own. RTA is like a meandering stream, the peaceful journey was the reward.

And by the way, Please disagree with me if you like Downton Abbey and see it more similar to RTA (I welcome a good friendly discussion.)
I fully and completely agree with you. And revival of Upstairs, Downstairs (in 2010) is very close to Downton Abbey, alas. But original Upstairs, Downstairs (from 1970-s) is very good. Yes, it is not so RTA-like, but certain warmth is definitely present there.
Miss Lewis wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 pm
Of all the Shows listed so far, Lark Rise to Candleford is most like RTA (in my humble opinion). Both have feel of community and family. Themes of change and trying to preserve a sense of community in mists of change are in both shows. Both shows have---nosy neighbors, hard-working family members, and a sense that everyone looks out for each other.
Yes, I agree with you and I very-very fond both of Lark Rise to Candleford and of Road to Avonlea.

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Yes, I agree with you and I very-very fond both of Lark Rise to Candleford and of Road to Avonlea.
Here I thought I was to find a strong Downton Abby fan willing to battle to the death :lol: . Instead of a battle, I find another kindred spirit.

I have not seen or heard of Upstairs, Downstairs. Is Upstairs, Downstairs (original ) related to Downton Abby somehow or just similar in setting? How is the 70s version different from the more recent version?

Though not exactly like RTA, I am fan of movies base on Jane Austen's books. In era where chivalry is dying (Ironically partly, by the pro-feminism movement), I like a world where honor and loyalty are held in highest regard. Notable favorites are:

Pride & Prejudice BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Coling Firth
Emma with Romola Garai
Persuasion with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones

Serge
Pat's Meow

Post by Serge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:27 am

Miss Lewis wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 pm
Here I thought I was to find a strong Downton Abby fan willing to battle to the death :lol: . Instead of a battle, I find another kindred spirit.
It was in 1st episode in 1st season (as I can remember) — something concerning to someone's bedroom and some guest who... (I not want to post spoilers here) — I not consider such kind of scenes as applicable for me (maybe I'm too old-fashioned for this modern world). But I continued to watch until end of 1st season and overall impression was that this series not for me (though visually very glossy and fashionable but I either cannot find warmth inside or warmth was mixed together "not for me" scenes).
Miss Lewis wrote:
I have not seen or heard of Upstairs, Downstairs. Is Upstairs, Downstairs (original ) related to Downton Abby somehow or just similar in setting? How is the 70s version different from the more recent version?
It is frequently said that DA (Downton Abby) is modernized version of UD (Upstairs, Downstairs) original. Yes, there certain similarities, but I fond of that old-fashioned warmth of UD, I watched complete 68 episodes two or three times and some episodes (like "Old Flame") — more frequently. New UD (2010-s) can be easily seen as very-very like DA — some plots are just identical (like affair with chauffeur). I watched this revival two times (mainly because of Keely Hawes and Alex Kingston) but overall this series not attracts me enough.
Miss Lewis wrote:
Though not exactly like RTA, I am fan of movies base on Jane Austen's books. In era where chivalry is dying (Ironically partly, by the pro-feminism movement), I like a world where honor and loyalty are held in highest regard. Notable favorites are:

Pride & Prejudice BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Coling Firth
Emma with Romola Garai
Persuasion with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones
Yes, I agree with you, and my favorites are Wives and Daughters (1999) and Our Mutual Friend (both 1976 and 1998) and Bleak House (2005) — and more Dickens series and films (like Great Expectation of 1946).

Another wonderful series is Mirror, Mirror (two series: 1995 and 1997) — Australian and New Zealand. Two just completely different seasons set mainly in 1860-s or close to. First season is "one story for season" — 20 short episodes about teens's adventures with some "fantastic device". I not want to post spoilers here, and I watched (first time) without knowledge about series' contents. It is very warm, maybe something like warmth in first seasons of Avonlea. Second season (26 short episodes) is made on "one story per episode (or two)" model — the only similarity with 1st season is that "fanastic device". It is also warm and I also can see some similarities to Avonlea. I watched both seasons many times and certainly will rewatch. It was on YouTube sometime ago, just search "Mirror, Mirror".

And yet another short series is Love for Lydia (1977) — it is old-fashioned story about love in 1930-s in small town. One of first roles of Jeremy Irons (more known for Brideshead Revisited) and Piter Davison (more known as Fifth Doctor Who). It is very slow and calm, many long dialogues. Maybe the most rewatched series for me. Present on YouTube. You can look following short fragment (no spoilers) to determine whether this series is for you.

Love for Lydia (1977) Tea for Two

Miss Lewis
Rose Cottage Resident

Post by Miss Lewis » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:29 pm

It was in 1st episode in 1st season (as I can remember) — something concerning to someone's bedroom and some guest who... (I not want to post spoilers here) — I not consider such kind of scenes as applicable for me (maybe I'm too old-fashioned for this modern world). But I continued to watch until end of 1st season and overall impression was that this series not for me (though visually very glossy and fashionable but I either cannot find warmth inside or warmth was mixed together "not for me" scenes).
Yes, that first episode...my jaw dropped when that happened :shock: . I thought---Would a lady of that class standing, during that era, really do that? Even with that point aside, I realized Downton Abby wasn't going be one my favorites (Perhaps I'm old-fashion too...and my conclusion is there is nothing wrong with old fashion :D ).
It is frequently said that DA (Downton Abby) is modernized version of UD (Upstairs, Downstairs) original. Yes, there certain similarities, but I fond of that old-fashioned warmth of UD
I'll skip the modern Upstairs, Downstairs since it similar to Downton Abby. I'll have look into original Upstairs, Downstairs. It sounds promising.

Thanks, Serge for many of your suggetions...it is very useful!